The Georgetown Bulldogs overcame a shaky first half filled with damaging penalties with a strong run game to get a 27-14 road win versus Philip Simmons High School on August 30.

The run game was dominant for the Bulldogs who racked up 279 yards on 37 attempts. The offensive line was strong creating opportunities while running backs made the most of the space, turning upfield often while also finding success up the middle. Quarterback Perry Jordan went 5/12 for 38 yards with one touchdown and one interception.

Philip Simmons was 3/11 for 19 yards and two interceptions and gained 153 yards on the ground on 38 attempts.

Georgetown took the majority of penalties in the first half which included the ejection of three Bulldogs after two Philip Simmons players tackled a Bulldog running back by picking him up and slamming him to the ground while another player had his leg. No Philip Simmons players were penalized for participation in scrum that took place afterward.

The game was scoreless until the 2:54 mark of the second quarter when Philip Simmons ran for a 7-yard touchdown. On the ensuing kickoff, Ishmael Taylor ran the ball back for a touchdown but was ruled to have stepped out of bounds at the 39-yard line. Still, with time winding down in the first half, Georgetown looked poised to even the score after a 40-yard connection from Jordan to Jamari Geathers which put them on the 1-yard line. However, a flag for a false start came out long after the play unfolded followed by another false start which essentially ended the half.

Coach Brian Coleman, who was operating in that role for the first time, said there were a lot of things to fix at the half. However, he said the team was focused and stepped up to make the necessary adjustments.

Georgetown came out on fire in the second half. They won the game’s coin-toss and elected to kick-off which meant they received the ball in to start the second half. The Bulldogs marched down the field and hit paydirt with a 17-yard strike from Jordan to Geathers and were successful with a two-point conversion to take a 8-7 lead.

They surprised everyone with an onside kick, which they recovered.

The Bulldogs special teams unit has been working really hard and Coleman believes that group is going to give them an edge on the competition. The surprise onside kick was “just a taste” of what the special teams group can bring to the table.

Working with a short field, thanks to the special teams, they didn’t have to go far before Tyja Bradford ran 53 yards for the Bulldogs’ second touchdown. The snap was bobbled for the PAT and the defense got to the ball before the kicker resulting in a 14-7 score.

Philip Simmons tied things up with a 4-yard rushing touchdown in the third quarter.

Georgetown took the lead for good in the fourth quarter after Geathers got his second touchdown of the night with a 4-yard rushing attempt. After a successful PAT, Georgetown went up 21-14.

The Bulldogs got the ball back with about four minutes remaining and converted a 4th and 3 from the 39 with only 3:23 left. They converted a 3rd and 7 on the next set of downs to retain possession before Bradford had another big rushing touchdown from 35 yards out to put the Dogs up 27-14 after a failed PAT.

A good kick with good special teams coverage left Philip Simmons with a long field with less than two minutes remaining. Not content with his pair of touchdowns, Geathers picked off a long pass to give Georgetown possession. They were able to run the clock out and take a knee to finish off the evening.

“I’m extremely proud of our boys,” Coleman said. “They had to overcome a lot of adversity.”

The weather, he said, was uncooperative resulting in missed outdoor practices and only one opportunity to scrimmage before their first game of the season. It was a lot of film and run-through sessions.

“Our boys have been attacking the weight room,” Coleman said. “That really showed up today. They work so hard for us and tonight they got their reward.”

Georgetown is scheduled to be on the road again to face Carvers Bay on September 6 at 7:30 p.m. Carvers Bay suffered a 44-0 loss at Waccamaw and will be looking to avoid a 0-2 start while Georgetown wants to remain perfect.