The weather went from one extreme to the other Saturday as much of Georgetown County — still in a moderate drought — was hit with flood waters by slow moving storm cells.

The flooding hit the City of Georgetown and Town of Andrews especially hard.

According to Doppler radar estimates, most of Georgetown County received an inch or less of rain Saturday but the City of Georgetown received more than four inches.

The flooding was so severe in Georgetown that the American Red Cross opened a shelter for those displaced by the flooding.

An apartment complex — Winyah Apartments on Duke Street behind Piggly Wiggly — suffered flood damage forcing the evacuation of up to seven families.

Apartment resident Louise Sherald worked to unclog the drains after the rains subsided. He said he has seen the apartments flooded because of past rainfall events but never this severe.

He estimates the water outside his front door, at one point, was nearly three feet deep.

The water also poured into his apartment ruining the carpet and damaging furniture.

Firefighters measured bodies of floodwaters nearly two feet deep in various areas of the city which caused a traffic headache. The area of Highway 17 near Georgetown City Hall was closed for an extended period because of the flooding.

Two cars were submerged in water and the occupants had to be rescued by emergency personnel.

As the height of the storm, the downpours were accompanied by heavy winds.

The most noticeable damage was on the Siau Bridge, next to Lands End Restaurant where most of the newly erected banners with the name "Georgetown" were ripped from the polls.

Georgetown Mayor Jack Scoville said the banners — installed on each light poll June 22 and 23 by Architectural Signing, Inc. out of Norcross, Ga. — are under warranty which is spelled out in the contract.

He said he does not believe the signs were made from was the problem.

"It looks like we had problems with the mounting failing," Scoville said.

The banners on the Maryville bridge were undamaged.

The mayor said the company had already been "put on notice" regarding concerns the city had about the banners withstanding wind as well as longevity concerns.

A representative at T-Mobile, located on Church Street said the force of the winds pulled the store's front door off the hinges.

Another reader, Katherine Green, reported seeing smoke after a lightning strike in the area of McDonald Road.

Scoville said he is hoping that will be the last time the city will see such extensive flooding because of the Highway 17 Drainage Project, expected to be complete next summer.

He said it's his understanding if the system had been in place Saturday, the flooding would not have occurred.

By Scott Harper