LAMBERTOWN SC — Ten-year-old Gage Lambert says it was his nose that saved his family on Friday, June 17.

He was trying to fall asleep around 1:30 a.m. when he smelled “something funny” coming from the living room, just outside his bedroom door.

When he looked out, he saw that papers and other materials on the coffee table were on fire.

His mother, father, brother J.D., and their Jack Russell Terrier named Stevo were sound asleep.

So, Gage ran through the house yelling, “Mama, Papa!”

“The ceiling was covered in black stuff and the smoke was so thick you couldn’t see,” Gage said. “It was really scary.”

Once everyone was out of the house safely, Gage snuck back inside to rescue their dog Stevo.

No one was hurt in the fire, including the dog.

Luckily, both parents are former emergency workers who did not panic.

His mother, Rebecca Lambert, a licensed EMT, and his father, Jason Lambert, a trained firefighter, put out the fire with buckets of water and a wet towel.

Since they put out the fire themselves and also handled cleanup in the middle of the night, they didn’t even call the fire department.

The family does not know exactly how the fire started, but they suspect a candle was too close to papers on the table.

They say a burning plastic Connect Four game caused most of the smoke in the house.

“If we didn’t get out of the house when we did, we might have died from carbon monoxide poisoning,” Rebecca Lambert said.

Gage’s grandmother, Dorothy Turner, said she is so proud of him for saving his family.

“If he wouldn’t have alarmed them when he did, it could have been a real tragedy,” Turner said.

Lesson learned

Rebecca Lambert said during this emergency neither the fire extinguishers nor the smoke detectors in the house worked.

She said since the incident they have replaced all of these important safety items.

“Now we test those things every day,” she said. “I would urge everyone to make sure their fire extinguishers and smoke detectors are working properly because you never know when you are going to need them.”

By Clayton Stairs

cstairs@gtowntimes.com