The Georgetown County school board passed the 2019-2020 school budget at the July 9 board meeting. The balanced budget includes a 4 percent pay raise for all district employees and a tax increase of 5.9 mills from the current rate of 109.7 mills.
The increase will generate an additional $1.7 million for the school district and the new budget is just under $4 million more than the 2018-2019 version.
During the meeting it was announced that Stephanie Stuckey, principal of Maryville Elementary since 2007, will be moving to the district office as the Director of Student Intervention and Support Services. Taking her place will be Tonja Johnson, who was previously an assistant principal at McDonald Elementary.
Taking over as principal at Georgetown High School will be Craig Stone. He has been the director of the Career Center since 2018, and was previously at Carvers Bay High School.
Larry Odom will be the new principal at Carvers Bay High School. He has held the title of Coordinator of Special Programs and Career Activities at the district office since 2018.
During Tuesday’s meeting, 15 other district employees had their titles changed:
• Dr. Pamela Vereen – Director of the Career Center/Science Curriculum Coach, who was a former science coach for the district.
• Scott Batton – Coordinator of Human Resources/ADEPT, who was an assistant principal at Maryville Elementary.
• Tracy McCants – District Social Studies Curriculum Coach, who was an assistant principal at Waccamaw High.
• Roland Hewes – Special Programs and Activities Coordinator at Georgetown High, who was an assistant principal at Waccamaw Elementary.
• Dr. Kendra Greene (Jiles) – Coordinator of the Howard Optional Placement Program, who was a reading coach at Plantersville Elementary.
• Kristi Kibler – Assistant Principal at McDonald Elementary, who was an assistant principal at Georgetown Middle.
• Sean Berry – Assistant Principal at Maryville Elementary, who was a math interventionist at Andrews Elementary.
• Robert DelBagno – Assistant Principal at Waccamaw Elementary, who was an assistant principal at Carvers Bay High.
• Michael Russo – Assistant Principal at Georgetown Middle, who was a reading coach at McDonald Elementary.
• Jeremy Bonser – Assistant Principal at Carvers Bay High, who was a teacher at Georgetown Middle.
• Dr. Briael Chadwell – Assistant Principal at Waccamaw High, who was a curriculum coach at Andrews High.
• Caitlynn Langford – Curriculum Coach at Georgetown Middle, who was a teacher at Georgetown Middle.
• Angela McClary-Rush – Curriculum Coach at Andrews High, who was an instructor at the Scholars Academy.
• Johanna Verner – Reaching Coach at Plantersville Elementary, who was a teacher at Waccamaw Intermediate.
• Ashton Goretzke – Reaching Coach at Waccamaw Intermediate/Middle, who was a curriculum coach at Georgetown Middle.
The next school boarding meeting will be Aug. 6 at 5:30 p.m. at the J.B. Beck Administration and Education Center.