125 Years Ago, 1894

Tommy Lesesne struck Edward Green a severe blow on the head on Wednesday night with a piece of fencing. Green is laid up for repairs and Tommy is languishing in the Georgetown jail.

100 Years Ago, 1919

A thrilling experience and a very narrow escape from drowning happened on Black River Thursday afternoon when the big Cadillac car of Mr. Jas. A. Waddell, driven by Mrs. Waddell, with Mr. Jas. R. Camp as a passenger, ran across the flat at Skinner’s Ferry into the river. The heavy car, as it slid into the river, broke off the “apron,” which floated. Mrs. Waddell and Mr. Campbell, having extricated themselves with difficulty from the sinking car, managed to grasp hold on the floating apron until rescued. Mr. Campbell, who sank twice before getting hold of the floating timbers, sustained a mashed foot while trying to stop the car as it ran into the river. Mrs. Waddell is suffering severely from shock and is badly bruised. She is doing remarkably well but was greatly unnerved from the terrible experience. Mrs. L.M. Overton and other kind neighbors are doing all in their power to comfort her. The car sank in water 40 to 50 feet deep. Mr. C.F. Crane is at work with a force of men endeavoring to find the submerged machine.

75 Years Ago, 1944

Mr. and Mrs. George A. Kanzler of Georgetown and Sullivan’s Island entertained last week with a seafood supper for Captain John Carroll, former movie star, who has been in the U.S. Army for the past several years. Captain Carroll’s last pictures, in which he was the star, were Flying Tigers with John Wayne and Hit Parade of 1942. Mrs. Kanzler is the former Miss Jean Shaw of Georgetown.

50 Years Ago, 1969

A fiery river of steel flowed in Georgetown last Friday as the first steel was made in the history of the county. Friday also saw the first shipment of steel rod from the new $ 20 million Georgetown Steel Corporation. Lt. Gov. John West, on hand for the event, congratulated steel workers on the achievement, which he termed “a proud day for Georgetown County and its industrial future.

25 Years Ago, 1994

Harris Willard, Billy Johnson and crew launched the houseboat Mamar into the Waccamaw River at Wacca Wache recently, heralded by the applause and cheers of onlookers. The Mamar started out in 1967, a Thunderbird cruiser, under the ownership and helm of McClellanville author Billy Baldwin. At the time, although he was writing already, Baldwin was mostly a shrimper and a Creek Rat. By 1989, the boat belonged to Johnson of Georgetown and was tied to a Pawleys Island dock when Hurricane Hugo roared through and left the houseboat in what was left of somebody’s house. Over the past 18 months, Johnson and Willard, with friends, have totally remodeled and refitted the boat, which comfortably sleeps six, into a cypress and heart pine beauty of salvage and craftsmanship with etched-glass porthole doors from the old El Rancho Motel in Myrtle Beach, water, electricity, gas stove and a ceiling fan. Johnson and Willard plan to rent out the 40-foot-long home-away-from-home by the week or the weekend.

Compiled by Elizabeth Huntsinger from the Georgetown Times archives.