125 Years Ago, 1894
A Complaint From South Island — To the Editor of The Times: The health of our community has become endangered by the butchering of sturgeon on this Island and throwing the offal in the water, which is distributed by the tide along the beach. The butchering is permitted on the lots of three or four citizens. Is it not in the power of the county board of health to protect us? It is out of jurisdiction of the quarantine board and the fish commissioner takes no notice of our appeals. I solicit a reply through your paper. Very respectfully, W. Miles Hazzard.
100 Years Ago, 1919
One spotted hog has been taken up in A. Gaskin’s field on Hazard Street. Owner can have same by calling and paying expenses on the hog will be sold.
75 Years Ago, 1944
Announcement was made this week that The Towers Grill at Pawleys Island has been opened under the management of Mrs. George A. (Bunny) LaBruce. Meals will be served on week days between the hours of 6 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. and on Sundays from 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight. Parties will be catered to upon reasonable notice. Miss Bunny declares that she will specialize in serving fried chicken and seafood dishes.
50 Years Ago, 1969
Mr. and Mrs. Clarke Wilcox Jr. were honored on the occasion of their Golden Wedding Anniversary on Thursday afternoon at their historic old home, The Hermitage (1849) at Murrells Inlet. The Wilcox daughters and their families entertained for the honored couple at a lovely reception. Mrs. Genevieve W. Chandler and Mrs. Laurie W. Briggs, sisters of Mr. Wilcox, presided at the guest register.
25 Years Ago, 1994
The Hermitage is gone now, moved across the highway and back into the woods. Where the nineteenth century house stood, new homes are being built. Where the circular drive once ran beneath the live oaks, homes rise now under hurricane-thinned trees. But Alice Flagg’s spirit is still there, searching always for the one great love of her life, and for the ring he gave her. She walks the shoreline of the creek where her home once stood, unable to rest in death. This story of a young woman’s resolve to be with the only man she loved is etched into a Lowcountry legend. Walk backward 13 times around her grave, young girls are told, and rings will disappear from your fingers. Joe and Ann Chandler own the house now. It’s landscaped with ancient oaks, just like before, and they’ve even dug a pond out front, a place for Alice, who came with the house, to keep up her searching.
Compiled by Elizabeth Huntsinger from the Georgetown Times archives.