Wednesday, May 15, 2013
By Chris Sokoloski
Georgetown County high school athletes won eight individual state track titles plus three relay titles and a team title over the weekend.
Individual winners were:
* Grace Barnett of Waccamaw: first in 800-meters (2:16.83), 1,600-meters (5:14.70) and 3,200-meters (11:44.77).
* Lewis Morant of Carvers Bay: first in 100-meters (10.85) and 200-meters (22.37).
* Desmond Sumpter of Carvers Bay: first in long jump (21 feet, 9 inches) and triple jump (41 feet, 6.5 inches).
* Davin Young of Carvers Bay: first in 110-meter hurdles (15.71).
* Morant, Raheem Dease, Akeem Lewis and Devin Cuttino won the 4x100 (42.68); Lewis, Josh Bolden, Joe Brown and Tyrell Richard won the 4x400 (3:28.37); and Desaree Green, Angel Holmes, Amber Linnen and Jasmine Cobb won the 4x400 (4:09.56).
Carvers Bay’s boys dominated the team competition with a 106.5 points. Christ Church was second with 69 points, Johnsonville was third with 65. The girls finished with 72 points, third behind Southside Christian, 97 points, and Greer Middle College, 86. Carvers Bay’s combined total was the best in Class A.
* Young: fifth in 400-meter hurdles (1:01.05).
* Green: second in high jump (5 feet, 4 inches) and fourth in long jump (16 feet, 4.5 inches).
* Myesha Hannah: second in long jump (17 feet, 7 inches), third in 100-meter hurdles (16.39), and seventh in 100-meters (13.42).
* Lewis: third in 400-meters (52.19).
* Cobb: fourth in 1,600-meters (5:56.76) and fifth in 800-meters (2:33.16).
* Naquez Pringle: fourth in shot put (48 feet).
* Richard: fifth in 400-meters (52.80).
* Brown: sixth in 800-meters (2:12.07) and seventh in 1,600-meters (5:10.64).
* Ijanai Haynes: sixth in 3,200-meters (15:05.77).
* Aaliyah Linen: sixth in triple jump (30 feet, 11 inches).
* Taleaa Adams: seventh in 3,200-meters (15:17.73).
* Xavier Drayton: seventh in 3,200-meters (11:58.97).
* Holmes: seventh in 200-meters (27.89).
* Amber Linnen: seventh in 400-meter (1:04.19).
The Bears were third in 4x800 and the girls were fourth in 4x800.
* D’Etta Green: second in high jump (5 feet).
* J.J. Sherman: third in 400-meters (49.71) and sixth in 200-meters (22.81)
* Robert Jones: fifth in 1,600-meters (4:35:29).
* Amelia Jones: fourth in 3,200-meters.
* Briley Arnold: sixth in 400-meter hurdles.
The Lady Warriors were second in 4x800.
The girls finished third with 55 points behind Bishop England, 88 points, and Batesburg-Leesville, 75 points. The boys finished 14th.
* Christina Wragg: second in 400-meters (1:02.46).
* Jaleel Filmore: fifth in 110-meter hurdles (15:44)
The Lady Yellow Jackets finished fourth in 4x400
* Quanazia Gardner: fourth in 100-meter hurdles (15.95).
* Derrick Hannah: eighth in the 400-meters (52.07).
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.