Friday, May 24, 2013
By Lloyd Mackall
For the Times
With some solid waist-high waves, the inaugual Atlantic Surfing Federation/Surfrider Foundation Surf-Off began Saturday in Garden City Beach.
Leading the charge from start to finish in the under 10 division was the “in-form” performance of Morgan Weaver of Pawleys Island, according to results from Philip Jackson of Murrells Inlet.
Micha Cantor took top honors in under 12, under 14, and open divisions, and Addison Miles took a break from training for the U.S. Championships to win the under 18 division, Jackson said.
Elizabeth Exum won the girls under 14 division; Emory McLary surfed her way to first place in girls under 16 and under 18; and Terry Green took women’s and ladies top honors.
Jackson said the masters divison saw three lifetime friends reunite for 20 minutes of good laughs.
“Barely edging out Jon Peirce for second was Phil Jackson,” Jackson said. “They both got waxed by longtime ‘ripper’ and former state champ Shawn Clark.”
John Quiones won men’s longboard, Seth Ensley won junior longboard, Chris Moore topped Quiones in the men’s, and Brian Simpson won the senior men’s.
There was a “nail-biter” in in both the senior longboard and legends divisions, Jackson said, as East Coast legend Bob Weaver downed Ted Watts.
The Micro-Groms event was a close one from start to finish, said Jackson.
“A.J. Jackson and Monkey Weaver were neck-and-neck with two minutes to go and Gage Jackson was getting pushed by former NSSA East Coast men’s champ Cole Richards on the inside. Monkey Weaver edged out A.J. Jackson in the final minute with a stylish front-side tube.”
With more than 200 participants, the Surfrider Foundation finished its annual eighth annual fundraiser later in the day at the Hot Fish Club in Murrells Inlet, raising more than $4,200.
* Boys and girls under 10: Morgan Weaver, followed by Aubrey Weaver, Ben Wingate, Ryan Largin.
* Boys under 12: Micha Cantor, Reid Largin, Tyson Royston, Hugh Rafferty.
* Boys under 14: Micha Cantor, Trip Chandler, Tyson Royston, Reid Largin.
* Boys under 14 longboard: Trip Chandler, Aubrey Weaver, Morgan Weaver, Ben Wingate, A.J. Jackson.
* Boys under 16: Conner Johnston, Jack Buffington, Tristan Finley, Seth Ensley.
* Girls under 16: Emory McClary, Sarah Bryson and Elizabeth Exum.
* Boys under 18: Addison Miles, Tristan Utz, Shane Evans, Reed Richardson.
* Girls under 18: Emory McClary, Elizabeth Exum and Sarah Bryson,
* Men’s longboard: John Quiones, Adam Dills, Shawn Clark, Jon Pierce, Phil Jackson.
* Open: Micha Cantor, Shawn Clark, Addison Miles, Emory McClary, Conner Johnston, Tristan Utz.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.