• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Wheeler-Cribb seeks new School Board District 6 election

  • Tuesday, November 20, 2012

  • Updated Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:59 am

Peggy Wheeler-Cribb says she feels she has a chance of winning the Georgetown County School Board District 6 race, even though her opponent Richard Kerr received more votes.
Cribb has issued a request for a new election for the  Waccamaw Neck seat that was held by Teresa Bennani who did not seek a second term.
When the votes were tallied the evening of Nov. 6, Kerr had received 1,723 votes to Cribb’s 1,702. Because of the closeness of the race, there was a mandatory recount which was supposed to take place Monday but a computer glitch forced the recount to be postponed until Wednesday.
After the process was complete, Kerr picked up one additional vote while Cribb’s final remained unchanged.
Cribb said the basis of her request for a new election is an error that took place on Election Day.
At last week’s vote certification meeting it was revealed as many as 240 - 270 voters who could have voted in the District 6 race may have been given the wrong ballot.
Cribb said because that could change the outcome, she feels the election results need to be scrapped and a new vote should take place.
“I don’t mind losing if it is done right,” she said, adding she feels God led her to run.
A hearing will take place at 10 a.m. Monday for the Board of Elections to decide if their will be a new election. If they side with Cribb, Kerr said he will appeal to the State Board of Elections. He said he feels he is the rightful winner, especially after Wednesday’s recount.
Donna Mahn, the county’s election director, said the state would likely not hear arguments until December.
If the state decides a new election is needed, it likely will not take place until sometime in February at the earliest.

By Scott Harper
sharper@gtowntimes.com

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.



South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705