SCDOT: Drainage Project 90 percent complete

  • Saturday, August 4, 2012

The South Carolina Department of Transportation says the severe flooding that has occurred in the City of Georgetown for decades should be a thing of the past in the very near future.
As of today, the $14 million drainage project that has been taking place along Highway 17 near the city’s Historic District is “90 percent complete,” according to information provided by the SCDOT.
“All major construction activities have been completed...Minor site work at these locations will continue for the next four to six weeks,” the release states.
Starting Monday, Uretek ICR, a specialty company, will begin an additional sealing and grouting operation at the wet well site located at the corner of Dozier and Front Streets.
“Once the sealing operation along the exterior of the wet well is completed, the dewatering of the wet well will begin to allow the construction of the pumping station,” the DOT says.
An “extensive monitoring plan” will be used as water is pumped from underground during the dewatering “to ensure the Uretek sealing operation is successful.”
The safeguards will include real time analysis of water levels and pressure from monitoring wells installed throughout the project area.
“Stop points have been identified so that the dewatering can be halted immediately if necessary,” the release states.
The extra precautions are being put in place in an effort to prevent additional sinkholes from forming.
The dewatering process was halted in November after several large sinkholes formed in the blocks areas around where the project is taking place. One building — Parrish Place — was destroyed and many others were damaged, some to the point that they steel have not been deemed safe to use.
The state is taking the extra steps of precaution this time but has still not said of it was the dewatering that caused last year’s sinkholes.
Mayor Jack Scoville said the state has promised to give 48 hours notice before the dewatering resumes.
The remaining items of work should be completed by the end of the year.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705