• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Memories of Pizza Hut shared following fire

  • Friday, December 28, 2012

  • Updated Friday, December 28, 2012 4:35 am

The manager of Pizza Hut of Georgetown says it’s too early to say whether the restaurant will rebuild after a fire caused major damage over the weekend.
The fire was reported at about 2:40 a.m. Saturday, according to Georgetown Assistant Fire Chief Charlie Cribb.
 When firefighters arrived flames were shooting through the roof, so backup units were called from Georgetown County and Midway Fire departments.
Cribb said foul play is not suspected. The investigation is continuing but initial reports are that the fire began near a fan exhaust vent in the kitchen area.
Cribb said crews quickly knocked down the fire when they arrived which saved the building from even more damage.
He said the restaurant was closed when the fire began and there were no injuries.
 Cribb said a total of 24 firefighters helped on the call.
Learnant Livingston, manager of the restaurant for the past 29 years, said it is too early to decide if the restaurant will rebuild.
After the news of the fire broke Saturday morning, many people took to The Georgetown Times Facebook page to express their fondness of the landmark.
Candice Moore said her father proposed to her mother inside the restaurant back in the 1980s.
“And then when I came along, I remember getting free pizzas for the Book It! club in grade school,” she wrote.
Melissa Reed Menefee, now 31, said she remembers celebrating her sixth birthday at Pizza Hut.
Marsha Moultrie recalls a similar experience.
“My middle daughter had her first family filled birthday party at Pizza Hut. It was her 10th birthday but her first where family was able to attend. We came all the way from Georgia to have our party there and the hospitality was awesome,” she wrote.
Ricki Wright said “My husband Bruce and I went on our first real date at Pizza Hut. His brother Andy drove us. We also watched the Winyah Gators play that same night.”

Two other fires

One day after the Pizza Hut incident, firefighters were busy with two more blazes.
The first was Sunday morning when a 42-foot boat caught fire in the Intracoastal Waterway near the Waccamaw Bridge near the city limits.
Crews from Midway Fire, Georgetown City Fire and the Coast Guard responded. Two people aboard the boat were rescued uninjured, Cribb said.
It took firefighters more than an hour to extinguish the fire but motorists on the bridge reported seeing smoke into the afternoon.
The second fire was reported at about 5:45 p.m. in the 400 block of Dozier Street at a home behind Hardee’s restaurant.
At first it was reported as an unauthorized burn but when crews arrived they saw a garage was on fire.
Fire Chief Joey Tanner said a man had a homemade fire pit made of brick which spread to the garage causing major damage.
Hardee’s was not impacted by the fire.

By Scott Harper


Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.