Ideas to keep kids active during the summer
Friday, June 1, 2012
By Chris Sokoloski
Summer time is fun time for Georgetown County kids, but that doesn't mean they have to stop learning.
There are a plethora of summer camps, including educational, arts, sports, of just plain fun.
Here are some of the options:
* Camp Brookgreen: Hosted by Janice Mauro for rising eighth- and ninth-graders, June 18-19; Hosted by Diane Turnley for rising sixth- and seventh-graders, July 5-6. $95 members; $115 non-members. For more information call 843-235-6049.
* Waccamaw Aerospace Education: Space Cities, for rising third- and fourth-graders, July 9-12, 8:30 a.m. to noon, $90; Level I, for rising fifth- and sixth-graders or students who have completed Space Cities, July 9-12, 12:30-4:30 p.m., $95; Space Encyclopedia, for rising sixth-graders or students who have completed previous sessions, $65. Waccamaw Elementary School. For more information call 843-237-4233.
* Camp Brookgreen: With an emphasis on animals. For rising second- and third-graders, June 11-15, 18-22 and 25-29; for rising fourth- and fifth-graders, July 9-13 and 16-20; $160 for members; $185 for non-members. For more information call 843-235-6049.
* Hobcaw Barony nature camp: For rising second- through fifth-graders. June 6-8, June 13-15, June 20-22, June 27-29 and July 11-13. $65. Call 843-546-4623 to register.
* Lowcountry Prep School: June 4, Imagi-Nation Art, Board Game Bonaza; June 11, Under the Sea, Ocean Journey, Building/Legos; June 18, Pirates and Princesses, Drama, Mythology; June 25, Nature Around Us, Explore the Outdoors, Wonders of the World; July 2, Red, White and Blue, Creative Writing; July 9, Magic School Bus, Traveling Magic Bus; July 16, Travel; July 23, ABCs and 123s, Library, Community Service; Anmals, Literary, Computers. For rising kindergarteners through fifth-graders. Half-day camps $60/$65; full days camps $110/$130. For more information call 843-237-4147 or go to www.lowcountryprep.org.
* Sizzlin' Science: Mondays through Fridays, June 4-July 27, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Beck Recreation Center. $45. Call 843-545-3333 for more information. Register online at www.georgetowncountysc.org or at a local recreation center.
* Nick at Nite: For rising first- through five-graders. July 25-27, 6-8 p.m., Pawleys Island Community Church. Free. For more information call 843-237-4449 or go to www.picc.ws.
* YMCA: Mondays through Fridays, June 4-Aug. 10, 7:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Waccamaw and Kensington elementary schools. $35 registration fee. Members $80/$75 per week; non-members $100/$95 per week. For more information call 843-545-9622 or go to www.coastalcarolinaymca.org.
* Carvers Bay basketball: For girls and boys ages 5-15. June 4-7, ages 5-8, 9 a.m. to noon, $40; ages 9-15, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., $50. Carvers Bay High School. For more information call 843-558-6920.
* Challenger British soccer: One to six hours per for kids ages 3-18. June 11-15 or July 16-20, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Georgetown County YMCA. $79-$180. For information call 843-545-9622 or go to www.challengersports.com
* Coastal Chevrolet Kickin' Grass Soccer: For ages 4-15. June 18-22 at Beck Recreation Center or June 25-29 Waccamaw Elementary School, 9 a.m. to noon or 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. $30 or $40 for half-day; $60 for full day. Call Tom at 843-545-3111 or Matthew at 843-264-5131 for information.
* Georgetown High Youth Football: For ages 8-11 in Georgetown elementary or middle schools. June 18-19, 8-11 a.m., Georgetown High School. Call 843-545-3275 for more information. Register online at www.georgetowncountysc.org or at a local recreation center.
* Lady Warriors softball: For rising fourth- through eighth-graders. Hosted by coach Scott Streiffert. June 4, 9:30 a.m. - noon and 6-8:30 p.m., June 5-7, 6-8:30 p.m. $75. Registration forms available at Waccamaw Intermediate and high schools.
* Warriors baseball: For ages 9-12. Hosted by coach Jeff Gregory. June 4-7, 9 a.m. to noon, Waccamaw High School. $35. Call 843-545-3333 for more information. Register online at www.georgetowncountysc.org or at a local recreation center.
* Warriors basketball: For rising third- through seventh-graders. June 4-7, 9 a.m. to noon, Waccamaw Elementary School. $75. Registration forms available at Waccamaw High and Elementary schools.
* Warriors football: For ages 7-13. Hosted by coach Tyronne Davis. June 11-13, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Waccamaw High School. $10. Call 843-545-3333 for more information. Register online at www.georgetowncountysc.org or at a local recreation center.
* Warriors volleyball: For kids 8-12. Hosted by coach Jill Schoen. June 25-28, 10 a.m. to noon, Waccamaw High School. $25. Call 843-545-3333 for more information. Register online at www.georgetowncountysc.org or at a local recreation center.
Vacation Bible school
Georgetown County has approximately 150 churches, many of which host summer Bible camps.
Contact your local church for information.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.