Friday, July 6, 2012
A Georgetown County fire investigator, and detectives from the Sheriff’s Office, are looking at arson as a possible cause for three fires that destroyed three vacant mobile homes in different areas in a three-day period.
The first occurred in the 200 block of Meadow Lane in the Graves Station Community at about 10:10 p.m. Thursday.
The owner of the unused mobile home said he received a call from a nearby resident who said the fire department was on the property, so he drove to the scene.
He told deputies he did not expect to see it on fire.
The man said he had not checked on the trailer for three weeks and was going to have it moved.
He said there has been no electricity going to the trailer for about a year.
The man told deputies a woman who was upset he had been given the trailer by his father-in-law may be responsible for the blaze.
The second fire occurred in the 4100 block of Powell Road near Sampit at about 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
The owner told a deputy the mobile home was “unlivable” and “no one goes into the residence for fear of snakes and falling through the floor,” the report states, adding he moved out years ago.
About three years ago, he reported all the wring had been stolen from the trailer, so there was nothing of value left.
The owner said on Saturday night he heard noises coming from the property, so he grabbed his flashlight to check it out. He said he saw a black GMC truck speeding away from the property and then he saw the fire.
He said he could not see who was in the vehicle because it had dark tinted windows.
The third fire happened at about 4 a.m. Sunday in the 100 block of Driftwood Ave. in Kensington.
Like the other two, this mobile home had no electricity running to it.
Neighbors said a 31-year-old Andrews man has been stealing copper wire from inside the mobile home, so he is listed as a possible suspect. Deputies were also told the man has been heard saying he was going to “burn the place down.”
While fighting this fire, three firefighters suffered minor injuries when they slipped from a ladder, according to County Fire Chief Mac Reed.
All three were taken to the emergency room to be checked out but were released and were expected to return to work this week.
Reed said Tuesday until a point of origin and likely cause for the fires can be found, the word “arson” is not being used.
“We are calling them suspicious right now,” he said.
Anyone with information about how the fires started can call the Sheriff’s Office at 546-5102.
By Scott Harper
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.