Tuesday, October 30, 2012
A fire inside a large machine at the Sampit Lumber Mill Monday kept firefighters busy for several hours.
Georgetown County Assistant Fire Chief Tony Hucks said the fire inside the chipper, a machine that turns wood chunks into saw dust. He said something sparked that caused the wood to catch on fire.
Because of the location and size of the machine, it took quite a while to completely extinguish the flames.
The ladder truck from the Georgetown City Fire Department was used to help fight the fire.
Hucks said there were no injuries in the fire that was reported at about 3:30 p.m. Crews left the scene at about 8:30 p.m.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.