Election confusion continues; Tinubu and Brittain may be in a runoff after all

  • Wednesday, June 13, 2012

  • Updated Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:20 pm

With all the confusion that has surrounded this year’s elections because of the hundreds of disqualifications — it’s not surprising the results are also clouded with confusion.
After the votes were counted in the Democratic race for the Congressional District 7 nomination, it was announced there would be a runoff between Gloria Tinubu and Preston Brittain because neither received 50% of the vote.
That was because the votes cast for Ted Vick— who withdrew from the race last month — were figured into the final tallies.
Later in the night, it was announced Tinubu had won the contest because Vick’s numbers were removed from the equation. It was said no runoff is needed.
But, state Democratic Party leaders are now saying Vick’s numbers should have remained and there should be a runoff.
South Carolina Democratic Party Chairman, Dick Harpootlian expressed concern in a release Wednesday that simply discarding the votes for the Chesterfield County state representative was not appropriate, calling for those votes to be included in the total and for the commission to proceed with a runoff in two weeks.
“The South Carolina Democratic Party cares about the voters in South Carolina and we care about their right to vote,” Harpootlian said in the release.
Harpootlian cited South Carolina code of law 7-17-610, which states "...there are more persons seeking nomination than there are offices, the majority shall be ascertained by dividing the total vote cast for all candidates by the number of positions to be filled, and by dividing the result by two." 

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705