• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Dozier: Increased school security was planned before Friday's killings in Connecticut

  • Monday, December 17, 2012

  • Updated Monday, December 17, 2012 5:58 pm

There was an increased police presence at Georgetown County schools this morning but it was something that was planned before Friday's elementary school massacre in Connecticut.
School District Superintendent Dr. Randy Dozier said he spoke with Georgetown County Assistant Sheriff Carter Weaver last week about having additional officers on hand this week because of increased activities at the schools.
Because of the holidays, many schools — especially in the elementary grades — are having parties and special presentations before winter break begins Wednesday afternoon.
"We will have a lot of visitors on the campuses," Dozier said.
He said the plans are to keep the extra security for the three days school is in session this week and for a couple of weeks after classes resume in January.
Currently, every middle and high school in the district has a police officer or deputy on campus at all times. However, there are no school resource officers in elementary schools.
In the wake of the shootings that resulted in 20 children and six adults being killed at Sandy Hill Elementary School  in Newtown, Connecticut, Dozier said he plans to begin talks with the school board and local law enforcement agencies to see what can be done on the elementary level.
Weaver, when asked Monday if he sees a time when there will be SROs in elementary schools, said that is a decision that will have to be made jointly by the community, the school district and law enforcement agencies.
He said deputies are on patrol everyday and make routine visits to the elementary schools.

Read more on this story in Wednesday's Georgetown Times.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.



South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705