Friday, September 28, 2012
Another step forward in the city’s plans for the former Eagle Electric property in Maryville has been taken with the approval of the demolition of a portion of the deteriorating building that once housed the manufacturer.
At its September meeting last week, City Council approved awarding a demolition contract in the amount of $38,850 to Four Seasons Site and Demo, Inc. of Wilmington.
Alan Loveless, head of the city’s electric utilities, told council about two-thirds, or about 106,000 square feet, of the building deemed unsafe will be removed.
There are some parts of the building with high ceilings that will remain. That portion of the building, according to the current plans, will be used for vehicle and other storage.
Loveless will salvage what can be salvaged during the demolition and the rest will be taken to the Georgetown County landfill.
According to the plans for the 18-acre tract which were revealed last month, a portion of the property will be used for a new fire station to replace the existing facility on South Island Road.
Two acres will be used by the city’s Public Works Department. Another three-fourths-of-an-acre would be used for the Electric Department.
A portion of the property — 1.85 acres — is expected to be used as a training area for firefighters.
A new water tower will also be placed on the site.
City administrator search
Also at Thursday’s meeting, council agreed to extend the contract with interim City Administrator Carey Smith until December 14 as the search for a permanent administrator continues.
Smith’s contract — which was put in place June 12 — expired Sept. 15.
Smith said 225 people have applied for the job.
The company that has been hired to help narrow the field is to present council with a much smaller list at a special executive session meeting next week.
By Scott Harper
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.