• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Attempted murder suspect still on the run after prison mistake

  • Wednesday, March 27, 2013

  • Updated Monday, September 23, 2013 10:54 am

Dwaine Johnson Jr.

Dwaine Johnson Jr. was supposed to remain in custody at least until he stands trial for the 2011 shootings of two Georgetown restaurant owners.
But last week, he was mistakenly released from Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center on Broad River Road in Columbia and, as of late Tuesday, he remained on the run, according to South Carolina Department  of Corrections spokesman Clark Newsome.
Johnson is one of two people charged in connection with the Aug. 24, 2011 shooting and robbery of Szechuan Restaurant owners Kwok “Daniel” Chung and Rui Mei Dong.
Jerome Greene, 20, is also charged.
Georgetown Police Capt. Nelson Brown said Johnson was the trigger man in the shooting which the victims survived.
Brown said one of the bullets struck Chung in the chest area. Johnson allegedly shot Dong in the back as she was trying to run out of the room where the robbery was taking place.
Johnson was being detained in Georgetown until earlier this year when he was sentenced for throwing urine on a Georgetown County Detention Center officer in December.
He was then sent to Kirkland to serve the sentence for the assault on the officer and was supposed to be returned to the Georgetown County jail to await trial for the shootings.
Newsome said Tuesday the events surrounding Johnson’s release are still being investigated. The amount of time that passed between Johnson’s release and the time the mistake was noticed has not been disclosed.
Brown said police and other law enforcement agencies have been conducting interviews and searches in the area for Johnson.
“We have reason to believe he is receiving assistance,” Brown said.

By Scott Harper
sharper@gtowntimes.com

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.



South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705