Police Blotter: Officer helps homeless man

  • Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Georgetown Police Officer Steven Church helped a homeless man who was being treated at the hospital for a leg injury April 21.
While Church was speaking with the 42-year-old man, he discovered he has been homeless for an extended period and has no family in the area to assist with his injuries, according to the police report.
Church conducted a background check on the man and there was nothing of concern found.
The man said he had no money for a prescription so he was given $20 for the medicine.
The man was also allowed to stay at the Budget Inn for two nights. Church also used the department’s emergency credit card to buy the man some necessities such as a small amount of food, a mess kit, socks, soap, a tooth brush and tooth paste.
A local charity was also called to offer further assistance.

Burglary in progress

Police were notified a man was using a crow bar to try to break into Randy’s Barber Shop in the 900 block of Church Street at about 12:20 a.m. Monday.
When officers got to the area they saw a man jogging on Orange Street towards Highmarket Street.
The officers got out to talk with the man but he ran. Police gave chase until they lost sight of him when he ran between some houses between Highmarket and Duke streets.
It’s believed the man was trying to get to the cash drawer in the business but his plans were thwarted by police.
He has not been located.

Unruly teen

A woman who was having problems with her 14-year-old son called deputies to their home on Old Kings Highway in Murrells Inlet April 19.
The woman said there have been recent situations involving alcohol, drugs and violence with her son.
She said she called deputies when her son refused to come home from a friend’s house.
Once he finally came home, he started yelling and cursing at his mother.
He then grabbed her face, knocking her glasses to the ground.
When the teen found out deputies had been called, he ran from the house.
The teen was not immediately found.
His family was asked to call 911 when he returned home.

Carrabbas burglary

The manager of Carrabbas in Murrells Inlet saw someone had broken into the office when he arrived at work April 22.
There was a ladder on the side of the building leading to the roof.
The ladder does not belong to the restaurant.
The wires to the phone system and fire alarm had been cut and the security system was disabled.
A safe was ripped from the floor and cut open to gain access.
More than $6,000 was taken.
There are no suspects.

Obscene voicemail

A 17-year-old from Pawleys Island reported an obscene voicemail left on her phone by a 17-year-old male classmate.
In the voicemail, the suspect “in graphic detail tells of the sexual acts he wants to perform on the victim.”
The girl said she only knows the suspect from school and has no idea why he would call her.
The girl said she wanted to press charges.

Information  is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.
— Compiled by Scott Harper

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.