• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Police Blotter: Gunfire leads to chase within the city limits

  • Wednesday, July 18, 2012

  • Updated Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:31 am

Deputies received a call Sunday evening about someone firing shots into the air from a vehicle on Pennyroyal Road.
The caller followed the vehicle and reported it had pulled into Sunoco station on Highway 17 in Maryville.
When the driver saw deputies, he sped out of the parking lot and drove north on Highway 17.
The chase continued until the driver turned onto Winyah Street, lost control of the car and ran into a yard near the intersection with Highway 17.
The driver was able to regain control and the pursuit resumed and continued on Winyah Street.
The driver disregarded all the stop signs as he drove at “high rates of speed,” the report states.
Once reaching the 1900 block of Winyah Street – after a tire came off its rim – all four doors of the vehicle opened and everyone, including the driver, jumped out while the car was still in motion.
The deputy attempted a foot chase but lost sight of the suspects.
Warrants are expected to be signed on the suspects when they are identified.

Doctor lashes out

A 71-year-old Myrtle Beach woman said her husband was transported to Waccamaw Community Hospital July 9 to be treated for injuries he received from a fall.
The woman said she was unhappy with the level of care her husband was receiving so she approached a doctor and said she was going to send the hospital a letter of complaint.
The doctor allegedly grabbed the woman by the shoulders and started shaking her while yelling she should write the letter then the hospital may provide more resources.
The woman said she was not injured and will wait to see how the hospital handles the situation before deciding if she will press charges.

Theft from sports complex

Deputies were called to the new 8 Oaks Sports Complex off Highmarket Street on its opening weekend because of a theft.
A man from Yonkers, NY said he was selling sports equipment when he was approached by a 42-year-old man from Florence who asked if he could demo a baseball bat while his son was in a tournament.
The seller agreed but asked the man to fill out a form which gave the seller permission to charge his credit card $310 if the bat was not returned.
After the games were complete, the man did not return the bat and so the seller ran his credit card information and discovered the card was expired.
The matter is still being investigated.

Power cut before burglary

Deputies were sent to Bial Enterprises on Highmarket Street July 6 because of a burglary.
The owner said whoever broke in, disconnected electricity to the building which caused the security cameras to be inoperable.
Entry was made through a window broken by the suspect.
Two cash registers, containing about $130, were taken.

CVS shoplifter

A manager of the Murrells Inlet CVS was suspicious of a 26-year-old Myrtle Beach woman who was acting in a strange manner inside the store July 12.
His suspicions grew more after the woman filled a shopping cart with nearly $900 worth of cosmetics and then walked into a restroom.
Another customer reported hearing what sounded like someone taking items from packages while she was in the bathroom.
The manager was waiting for the woman when she walked out and she reportedly admitted trying to shoplift.
She removed makeup from her clothing and handed it to him.
She told a deputy she had lost her job but claimed she planned to pay for the hundreds of dollars of makeup in the shopping cart.
There was a man with the woman when she walked in the store but he fled the scene.
The woman was arrested.

Vacationer reports theft

A Pennsylvania woman vacationing at Litchfield Inn July 7 reported $600 was missing from her room July 7.
She said she left the cash in an envelope next to the bathroom sink.
The woman said she received a note from housekeeping which stated “you were the best guest I had in months. Your sons were very friendly, and so were you. If I don’t see you before you leave, I just want to say goodbye and see you next year.”
The odd part about the note is it was written on Homewood Suites by Hilton letterhead.
The woman said because family was in and out of the room all day, she is unsure when the money was taken.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.
— Compiled by Scott Harper


Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.