Police Blotter: Man caught after attempting to break into home

  • Thursday, January 29, 2015

Georgetown County deputies were sent to Norma Lane in Murrells Inlet Jan. 14 to assist a Highway Patrol trooper who was chasing a 20-year-old Myrtle Beach man who had been caught trying to break into a home.

The trooper said he was sitting stationary on Highway 17 Bypass when he heard a commotion on Norma Lane.

He said when he turned onto Norma Lane, a man ran out of his house and told him the suspect had tried to break into his daughterís room.

The trooper then saw the suspect run into some nearby woods, the report states.

When they arrived, the deputies helped the Highway Patrol officer search the area, but the suspect was not found.

The deputy went back and talked to the homeowner, who said he was awakened by the sound of tapping on his daughterís window.

He said he went to his daughterís room and saw the suspect standing outside the window. He said he yelled at the man telling him he was trying to get into his daughterís room and the man yelled back he was not trying to do that, the report continues.

The man then ran from the house.

About an hour later, the trooper was stationary on Highway 17 Bypass again when the suspect was spotted. The trooper chased him on foot, but the man quickly stopped running and turned himself in.

The man seemed to be highly intoxicated and was slurring his words, the report states.

Because the bedroom window was cracked, the man was charged with malicious injury to property and being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Stolen credit cards used

A Murrells Inlet woman met with a deputy Jan. 19 to report credit card fraud.

The woman said she was at her job in the Horry County portion of Murrells Inlet someone stole the wallet out of her purse.

The woman said the wallet contained her credit cards that were later used at then Kangaroo convenience store in Murrells Inlet.

The report states $65 was charged to the card at that store. Another $112 was charged at the Murrells Inlet Wilco and $107 was used at the Hot Spot in Pawleys Island, the report states.

A clerk at the Wilco said she was the one who made the transaction. She said a man purchased two cartons of cigarettes. She said the man told her he is New York and was in the area for a funeral.

The security camera video shows the man was with another man in the store and they both left in a vehicle.

The search for the suspects continues.

Drunk man thought he was at a hotel

The owner of Express Water Sports in Murrells Inlet met with a deputy Jan. 17 and said he had video proof showing someone tried to break into his business.

The owner said he does not think the man seen in the video meant any harm. He said he thinks the man was intoxicated and thought his business was a hotel.

The deputy watched the video which, according to the report, shows the man stumbling around the business and knocking on the door.

At one point, he dragged a bench to the gate and used it to hop over the fence. He walked around the pool entrance for a while then left the business.

There was no damage. The owner said he only wanted the incident documented.

Water bill woes

A man called 911 Jan. 19 after receiving the monthly water bill for a home in the 1100 block of Waccamaw Drive in Garden City.

The complainant said he watches over the house for the owner who lives in Charlotte. The man said the water bill received in January from Georgetown County Water and Sewer was for $938.

The man said he called GCWSD and was told they rechecked and the usage on the bill was correct.

The bill indicated 101,000 gallons of water had been used in one month.

The man said there were no water leaks anywhere in the house.

The man also said he had turned the water to the house off for two weeks in December.

The man was told by GCWSD he needed to file a police report.

Unruly teen

A woman called for a deputy to respond to her Murrells Inlet home Jan. 17 because of threats made by her 16-year-old son.

The woman told the officer her son had been acting up all day and she feared he would be a danger to himself or others. She said he would get into rages and would say and do things that are violent.

She said he had already been suspended from school for threatening the principal, the report states.

The deputy talked to the teen who had calmed down. He said he just wanted to go for a walk then he would be OK.

The deputy left the home but was later called back because the teen was screaming and swearing at his parents, the report states.

The teen was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Information is subject to change as investigations proceed. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.


Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos

South Strand News

© 2015 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.