Carvers Bay ready to defend Lower State title

  • Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Carvers Bay’s football team won the Class A Lower State title last season, but don’t expect to see that team take the field this year, said its coach.

“That team graduated,” said James “Nate” Thompson. “It’s good that people look at you as somebody they want to beat, but we’re a little bit younger and a little bit more inexperienced.”

It will be “very, very, very hard” to make it back to the state title game, Thompson added.

“It’s going to be difficult because we know everybody got us as an important game to them,” said senior Trevor Lewis. “It’s going to be difficult because we know we’ve got a target on our back, but I have confidence in our boys.”

“It’s going to be hard since we know everyone will be after us since we were contenders last year,” said senior Kelvin Waites.

The 2013 Bears squad had seniors in key positions on both sides of the ball. That means a lot of young guys will have to step up in 2014.

“We’ve got some talent, but they haven’t figured out what to do just yet,” Thompson said. “We’ve got some kids to work with, they’re just not where [we’ve] been in the past.”

“We’re going to try to push these kids,” said senior Tyrell Richards. “Keep them on the right track.”

Thompson is excited though, that there are 55 players in camp. That’s the most he’s seen in recent memory.

The seniors said it’s up to them to lead the younger players.

“We just have to teach them all we know and [point] them in the right direction,” Waites said.

Lewis said the seniors are already working with the youngsters on being disciplined, listening to the coaches, and getting in shape.

And staying out of trouble in school, Richards added.

Carvers Bay is scheduled to host its annual jamboree on Aug. 16, scrimmage Cross on Aug. 19, and participate in the Hemingway jamboree on Aug. 22.

The regular season begins Aug. 29, with the Bears hosting Johnsonville.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705

ERROR: Macro ox-adUnits is missing!