Police Blotter: SWAT Team called to domestic situation

  • Tuesday, August 5, 2014

A woman from Blackthorn Court in Andrews suffered a cut severe enough to require EMS attention July 25.

She, at first, told a deputy she cut herself while slicing meat but EMS workers said the woman’s husband was responsible.

The woman had bandages on both hands because of the cuts.

She then said she and her husband had been arguing all day and at one point she threw his phone in the yard.

She said she went and started watching TV when her husband walked in and the argument resumed. She said he “swung at her with something in his hands” but she did not know what he was holding.

She said when she grabbed the item he was holding, her hands got cut.

The husband was still in the home and deputies did not know if he was still in possession of the weapon so they yelled for him to walk outside but he ignored the commands.

The man’s brother tried calling him on the phone to get him to walk outside but he did not answer the phone.

SWAT Team members arrived on the scene and attempted again to get the man to walk outside using a PA.

When he ignored the orders again, the SWAT Team forced the door open and arrested the man without further incident.

He was charged with criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature.

Mad about timber

Deputies were rushed to a fight in progress in the 1200 block of Indian Hut Road near Andrews July 21.

The parties were separated when deputies arrived.

The man who called 911 said the fight began when his 48-year-old brother began arguing with him about selling timber from the yard.

He said his brother “threw an object made out of glass at him,” the report states.

The man’s brother said he threw the object on the ground and not at his brother.

The 48-year-old is also accused of breaking a mirror and table.

He was arrested for simple assault.

Internet scam

A man from Jasper Street said he is the victim of an Internet scam.

He said he got involved with an Internet company that would send him money to do assignments for large companies such as Walmart.

He said the company, based in Cincinnati, would tell him what to do and he would issue a report about customer satisfaction.

Part of the assignment included the purchase of Money Grams which he was supposed to send to someone.

He said he received a cashier’s check from the company in the amount of $1,985 on July 17.

He deposited the check into his account them purchased the Money Gram cards and sent them off to a Florida address.

The man did not think it was a scam because the check he was sent cleared the bank with no problems.

Over the following days, the man received several other checks with instructions to purchase more of the money cards and send them off, which he did.

He estimates the total amount of gift cards he sent was about $10,000.

On July 24, the man was informed by his bank the first check he deposited was bad and he feels the others will also be bad.

Golf Drive burglary

A Georgetown man told deputies a house his son owns on Golf Drive in the Maryville area was burglarized sometime in July.

The man said his son lives in Texas so he checks on the home occasionally. He discovered the burglary on July 26.

Entry to the home was made through a back door.

Items taken varied from towels and chairs to a refrigerator. It is estimated more than $2,000 worth of items were taken.

“Each bedroom had been thoroughly searched by someone,” the report states.

There are no suspects.

Sausage swiper

The owner of Carolina Country Store, in the North Santee Community, said a man stole three sausages from the freezer.

The complainant showed the deputy video from a security camera where the man, who appeared to be in his late 20s, placing the sausages in his pocket.

He then grabbed a drink which he paid for before walking out of the store.

Information is subject to change as investigations proceed. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705

ERROR: Macro ox-adUnits is missing!