Quantcast

Garden City golf cart parade cancelled

  • Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Anita Crone/South Strand News Although the official golf cart parade in Garden City Beach has been cancelled, organizers say participants will line up and “go for a ride.” Last year’s parade, pictured above, drew about 300 golf carts.

While the official Garden City Beach golf cart parade has been canceled for this year, there still will be a ride down Calhoun Drive.

Dona Lane, who tried to pick up the reins of the annual event, was unable to get a permit, but she said she and a group of friends and acquaintances still plan to be out in force at 3:30 p.m. July 4.

“We’ve gotten permission to line up at the lot behind Willard’s Fireworks at 17 Business and Calhoun Drive,” she said on July 1.

“We’re going to go for a ride in decorated golf carts.”

The official parade was put on hiatus because organizers said it had grown too big and they wanted to look at ways to preserve the parade yet keep the event under control. Nearly 300 golf carts participated last year.

Lane said that because there are no permits, participants will be expected to obey all traffic laws.

“It was obvious that people wanted this event to continue,” she said.

She added that once she offered to take over the event last week, “my phone did not stop ringing. People want this event.”

She said that people are welcome to line up starting at 3:30 behind Willard’s. “I don’t know what the route will be, but it will go down Calhoun Drive.”

She said that because there are no permits for the event, she could not call it a parade.

“I don’t care that we can’t call it a parade,” she said, “as long as people have a good time and we keep this tradition alive.”

Latest Videos
Upcoming Events
 Latest News
Print Ads


South Strand News

© 2015 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.