Police Blotter: Abandoned dogs rescued

  • Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A deputy was dispatched to the 100 block of Deepwood Court near Andrews June 20 after receiving a report dogs had been left in a home for 11 days with no food or water.

A worker from Santee Cooper made the discovery when he was disconnecting electricity to the home.

The worker said the dogs needed to be removed from the home so they would not die.

The deputy entered the home through an unlocked door and found two “wiener” dogs, a male and female, as well as three newborn puppies. There was an empty bag of dog food in the house as well as a dry water bowl.

All the dogs were taken to the Saint Frances Animal Center.


A man from Annie Bell Drive in Dunbar said he was working in his yard June 19 when a 28-year-old woman and another man drove up and got out their car. The woman said she wanted to purchase a piece of land from the man and he told her it was heirs property and it would take a while.

The woman then allegedly called him a “bow-legged son of a (expletive)” and that if he put her in jail when she got out she would “kill him dead,” the report states.

The deputy met with the woman who said she did inquire about purchasing some property from the man but said it was the owner who started the incident. She said when she was talking to him he got too close to her so she asked him to step back. That’s when he allegedly said “little girl I am calling the police for you harassing me.”

The case was sent to a magistrate for warrant consideration.

Man shot in the leg

A 23-year-old Conway man said he was shot in the leg while at a club off of Old Pee Dee Road June 17.

The man said a fight broke out and that is when the gunfire erupted and he was shot. He said he did not see who shot him. The man was transported in a personal vehicle to the Bucksport EMS station for help.

The club was closed when the deputies arrived and there are no suspects.

Suspicious ‘repairman’

The owner of Plantersville General Store on Highway 701 said a man walked into his store June 20 and started messing with the ATM machine.

He said the man, who had a name tag with the name “Chris” on his shirt, appeared to be working on the machine but then the alarm on the devise began to sound.

Becoming suspicious, the store owner asked the man for paperwork showing he actually works for the company that owns the ATM. The man handed the store owner some documents but quickly took them back from him.

He then walked towards the door but as he was leaving he lifted his shirt exposing a handgun.

“Do you know what this is,” he reportedly asked the store owner before leaving in a truck.

The owner said he was unable to call 911 at that time because of the number of customers in the store. He gave the deputy the names of two of those customers he knows personally because they witnessed the incident.

The deputy called the company and asked if they have a worker named Chris and was told they did.

But, the person who answered the company’s phone said the deputy would have to call back to find out more about the worker.

$10,000 ring stolen

A man from Sandpiper Lane said he was away from home for about four-and-a-half hours June 16 and during that time his house was burglarized.

He said when he got home he saw a portion of his sliding glass door had been removed from the track. He said he could tell his dresser had been rummaged through.

Several pieces of jewelry were reported missing from a closet.

A ring which once belonged to the victim’s mother was also taken. The man said the ring is valued at more than $10,000.

There are no suspects.

False information

A 25-year-old man from Elloree, S.C. was pulled over for speeding by a deputy May 24 but, on June 16 it was discovered the man had given the officer a fake name.

He used his brother’s name instead of his own, the report states.

The deputy says when he made the traffic stop, the suspect did not have his license with him and when he was asked his name, he gave the officer the name of his brother. He was written tickets for careless operation and having no license and was let go.

The suspect’s brother, who lives near Orangeburg, met with the deputy June 16 and showed him his license to prove a fake name had been used. He said he found out about the lie when he received a letter informing him he had a bench warrant out for him charging him with failure to pay the tickets.

He said his brother pulled the same stunt once before in Calhoun County.

The deputy voided the tickets and presented a magistrate with information for a warrant charging the suspect with providing false information.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
Upcoming Events
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.