Saturday, May 24, 2014
To the Editor:
There seems to be a steady stream of letters to the editor lately expressing “CONCERN” about Steve Goggans, and I thought I would jump on the band wagon and list my top 10 reasons why voters of District 6 should be concerned about Goggans:
10. He has lived on Waccamaw Neck for more than three decades.
9. He and his wife, Barbara, have raised and educated their children on the Neck
8. He has been active in the community for decades giving his time and effort to community causes, most recently doing pro bono work for AMIkids
7. He believes in the “Don't Box the Neck” approach, but also believes there needs to be more concern about all development, not just about box stores.
6. He worries about some approved development that could fool people into thinking they are at the Jersey Shore
5. He wonders if we have enough grocery stores and discount stores on a very narrow piece of land with no customers coming from the East or the West, and about the possibility of abandoned shopping centers in the future.
4. He wonders why Mr. Anderson would not meet with citizens concerned about the Highway 17 median project and why he misled his constituents about the control the County Council had over the project (Mr. Anderson and the county council had the final say, but Anderson claimed they had no say). Steve Goggans believes office holders should meet with all concerned citizens, in groups or individually, and learn from those he or she represents; turning your back on constituents is a terrible approach to government, according to Goggans.
3. He is Reagan Republican, and like Reagan believes his conservative values should guide his decision making. Like Reagan, he believes that once in office, a person should represent and be concerned about all the citizens, not just those in his party, not just those in the good old boy network.
2. He believes that since the Waccamaw Neck pays approximately 80% of the taxes in the county, it needs strong representation to maintain the wonderful culture of the area, and understands why others on the council are more concerned about immediate, additional revenue than about the quality of Neck development. Believing this, he does not feel that the “go along to get along” representation approach on the Council works best for the Neck.
1. Steve Goggans runs two successful businesses on the Neck, meets a payroll every week, and over the decades, has provided hundreds of jobs to local residents.
All of the above must explain all the “CONCERN” about Steve Goggans: a successful conservative businessman who raised his family here, has volunteered in the community for decades, and thinks that the Waccamaw Neck needs a strong county council representative. His candidacy must cause much “concern” and sleepless nights for many.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.