Police Blotter: Domestic violence suspect found hiding in an attic

  • Thursday, May 22, 2014

Georgetown police thought they may have been dealing with a hostage situation when they responded to a domestic violence call on Martin Street at about 6:15 p.m. May 13.

Neighbors said a 34-year-old man and his girlfriend had been arguing outside a bit earlier and no one had left the residence.

Central Dispatch informed police a woman was heard screaming while a dispatcher was taking the call.

The officers were also aware a small child resides at the residence.

When no one answered the officer’s knock at the door, one officer entered the house through and unlocked window.

The woman was crying as she was holding her daughter at the top of the stairs. The woman was told several times to walk down the stairs but she appeared to be too frightened to move.

“At this point I did not know if she was being threatened or is she was being held hostage in her home,” the officer wrote. She was asked several times where her boyfriend was but she was “standing in shock not saying anything.”

Officers eventually found the man hiding in the attic and refused commands to come down so an officer grabbed him by his legs and pulled him down.

It was learned the couple had been arguing about money while they were outside and once in the house the man slapped the victim “for making a scene,” the report states, A witness reported seeing the man pull the victim into the house.

The man was arrested for criminal domestic violence and was taken to jail.

Officer assaulted

A man from Peregrine Court in Murrells Inlet said his two grandchildren, ages 17 and 24, had been fighting outside then went inside and started tearing up the house.

The deputy found the men in their bedrooms. Both men had slurred speech and their breath smelled of alcohol.

They both admitted they had been fighting. The officer noticed a pipe on a desk, so he picked it up and noticed traces of marijuana.

The men were arrested and while on the way to jail, they were able to get their handcuffed hands in front of them and started ripping cords out of the car’s camera.

Once at the jail, the 24-year-old hit the deputy in the face with a closed fist so he was additionally charged with assaulting an officer.

Refusing to pay

A 47-year-old Murrells Inlet man was arrested after an incident at Dead Dog Saloon May 11.

The manager said the man was drunk and refused to pay his tab.

He said the was falling asleep at the bar and when he was asked to settle his $113 tab, he refused to do so. He was asked to leave the bar, which he also refused to do so an employee and his friend escorted the man out of the bar.

The man was found by deputies on the ground near his vehicle.

He was examined by EMS and was released. He was then placed under arrest for disorderly conduct and defrauding an innkeeper.

Cutting school to smoke pot

Two 17-year-old Howard Alternative School students cut class for about three hours May 12 and when they returned they were “behaving abnormally,” according to the report so police were called.

One of the students was very slow to respond to the officer’s questions and kept repeating he was tired.

The other student admitted the two smoked a joint while they were off campus, something the other student denied.

The confessing student “seemed confused and had to have questions repeated to him several times.”

The school’s principal decided he would not press charges. Both students were released to legal guardians.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.