Thursday, May 15, 2014
The plan to bring fireworks back to Murrells Inlet drew some interest from the Murrells Inlet 2020 Board of Directors at its May 7 meeting.
“I would like to know why they want to do the fireworks and what their cleanup plan is,” said Sandra Bundy, vice president.
Sean Bond said that it was pretty obvious about why the restaurants were doing the fireworks on Monday.
“It’s promotion,” he said, adding that he did not know what the cleanup plan was, although he said he understood that the fireworks would be shot from a barge rather than from the marsh walk.
Last year’s Monday Night Lights drew concerns from MI 2020, especially after checks of the Marsh Walk on Tuesdays revealed debris from the pyrotechnics.
“Honestly, what can be done?” questioned Linda Lane, a member of the MI 2020 advisory panel.
Sean Bond, the chairman of MI2020, suggested members of the board and advisory committee “keep your ears to the ground” and see if you hear anything.
Whitney Hills said that she, Denise Shelley and Bond met with them and told them the board was concerned.
Bond plans to attend the next meeting of the restaurant association, and convey the concerns.
A show of hands indicated that no member of the board was in favor of the fireworks, but that the board realized it was a decision of the restaurants.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.