Pawleys Island leaders remember Mary McAllister

  • Thursday, April 17, 2014

Mary McAllister

Pawleys Island Town Council remembered Mary McAllister, former council member, at its regular monthly meeting Monday night, April 14.

Pawleys Mayor Bill Otis said she died recently after an extended bout with cancer. “She did not speak loud positions, but when she spoke to us we knew she had something to say.”

“She was a great member of this council and a great citizen of Pawleys Island who will be missed by us,” Otis said. “I’d like for us to take a moment of silence for her.”

She was described as being a “very” visible member of the community by Mayor Pro-Tem Mike Adams.

The legislative body, also including Howard Ward, Glennie Tarbox and Sarah Zimmerman, decided to authorize Mayor Otis to write an official resolution honoring McAllister’s life and service.

“She did not seek re-election last year after serving for 12 years,” he said.

McAllister was elected in November of 2001 when her husband Ken McAllister decided not to run, Otis said in his monthly newsletter.

Other business

Council concurred with an opinion requested by Alan Walters from the Advisory Committee on Standards of Judicial Conduct on his continuation as town judge on a part-time basis.

He recently accepted a new position with the Georgetown County School District overseeing school and school-event safety.

He had been Georgetown County Magistrate—head of the traffic court division since 2002.

Council approved a Planning Commission Report by Chairman Jim McCants regarding proposed zoning amendment on impervious surfaces.

Pervious materials are preferred because they are porous and filter storm water before it enters waterways.

The proposed amendment to “allow a permeable paving system of concrete pavers or brick pavers on a two-inch layer of permeable, open-graded crushed stone bedding, placed over an open-graded base.

Spacing between the pavers shall be filled with stone in the joints.”

Council considered a victims services account arrangement with the county and an agreement for law enforcement cooperation with Sheriff A. Lane Cribb’s office. Council approved the victim’s service agreement between the town and Georgetown County Sheriff.

The town will forward all future funds collected for victims services to the county and the county will in turn perform these duties for the town.

Council received a report from Ryan Fabbri, assistant administrator, on his recently becoming a Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) after attending FEMA’s four-day course on flood plain development and passing the certification exam.

“The knowledge I gained helped me better understand the relationship between floodplain management and flood insurance,” he said.

“I intend to use this information to improve the town’s standing in FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS), which currently saves our property owners 20 per cent on their yearly flood insurance premiums.”

Council heard that the underground wire project is moving forward and is involved in the first phase, between the causeways. Property owners are receiving easements to be signed and returned to Santee Cooper.

Fabbri said multiple staging of the project includes cooperation needed from Time Warner to make it seamless to owners. “Neither TW or the town wants an owner to be without cable service during the transition,” Fabbri said. “We want TW to assign one person to coordinate with the town during the process, and we have also asked Santee Cooper to do the same.”

“Both companies need to have good communications between themselves during the process since Santee Cooper is doing the boring for both the electrical and the cable lines. It is our hope that TW will be able to upgrade their system, while replacing the lines underground.”

This section was chosen first as it includes underground wire across both causeways and provides important redundancy to the entire island.

Construction design is underway and the timing for the beginning of work will depend on receipt of all of the easements, but should be by early 2015, Mayor Otis said.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705