County removes nine roads from improvements list; $2.25 million to be used on other roads

  • Wednesday, April 9, 2014

  • Updated Friday, April 11, 2014 7:33 am

Nine roads have been removed from the county’s improvements program and the money set aside for the work will now be used on other roads.

County Administrator Sel Hemingway told County Council on Tuesday that the county has not been able to get the needed right-of-way easements for Calvin Hardee Road, Ford Road, Glenny Loop, Gravel Gulley Road, Meria Drive, Reown Drive, Russell Avenue, Satellite Avenue and Weston Road.

Under the terms of the Road User Fee Program, all property owners must grant easement before improvements can be made.

The county has already spent $170,310 on survey and design work on the roads.

More than $2.25 million that would have paid for improvements to these roads will now be released for other roads.

If the right-of-way easements are granted in the future, the roads can be added back in to the program.

Cokerville Road was also on the list to be removed, by Council Member Austin Beard asked that it be removed. He said he was told the property owners were working to get the easement situation straightened out.

In other business

County Council gave permission for the Majestic Oaks Townhouse project in Murrells Inlet to have an entry gate, pending approval from the Murrells Inlet/Garden City Fire Department.

The development is located on Oyster Bay Drive off U.S. Highway 17 Business.

By law, all requests for gates on developments must be recommended by the county Planning Commission and approved by County Council.

Planners gave their approval on March 21.

Council approved repealing a 2007 ordinance that established rates and fees for county Parks and Recreation programs.

Since then, the county discovered the fee schedule set in the ordinance was unequitable.

The next County Council meeting will be on April 22 at the Historic Courthouse in downtown Georgetown.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705