Flood and mobile home laws on Georgetown City Council agenda

  • Wednesday, March 19, 2014

  • Updated Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:58 am

Georgetown City Council meets Thursday and will mainly be dealing with issues previously discussed.

One of those issues is amendments to the city’s flood ordinance, up for the second of the two needed approvals.

Georgetown planner Rick Martin said the ordinance was studied in the aftermath of the fire on Front Street in September and it was discovered 29 changes needed to be made so the city’s ordinance will match the state’s flood laws.

Most of the changes are housekeeping matters such as adding or deleting a word or phrase here and there. However, one major change gives property owners an avenue of appeal before going to court.

Currently, if someone wants to appeal an interpretation of the flood ordinance, they have to take the matter to circuit court, Martin said.

The revised ordinance will give the city’s Board of Zoning Appeals the authority to hear and decide requests for variances from the requirements of the flood ordinance.

If the petitioner is not satisfied with the BZA decision, the matter can then be appealed to circuit court.

Mobile home ordinance

Also up for second reading Thursday are amendments to the city’s mobile home ordinance.

One of the sticking points last month was what can be placed on a property within the R3 zone when a mobile home is destroyed or removed.

The draft ordinance states if the structure is replaced with a mobile home, it must be a new mobile home.

“I am stuck on the word ‘new.’ Some people cannot afford $140,000. Can the word ‘new’ be modified? We are not considering an individuals finances,” Councilman Rudolph Bradley said at the last meeting.

City planner Rick Martin said the definition of ‘new’ is a mobile home “that has never been titled.”

Mayor Jack Scoville asked staff to reword the proposed changes before second reading.

Thursday’s meeting begins at 5:30 p.m. at Georgetown City Hall.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705