House damaged, shed destroyed in two separate fires

  • Monday, February 24, 2014

A Georgetown City Firefighter examines the damage at 413 Palm Street Monday morninng.

Georgetown City firefighters responded to a house fire Monday morning.

The fire was reported at 824 a.m. at 413 Palm Street. Fire Chief Joey Tanner said the fire began in an electric receptacle in a bedroom closet. There was heavy smoke and flames coming from the bedroom when firefighters arrived.

While most of the damage was contained to that bedroom, there was “a lot of smoke and heat damage to the rest of the house,” Tanner said.

Later in the day Monday, fire destroyed a shed at a home in the 5300 block of Highmarket Street.

Maegan Goings said the fire occurred at the home of her parents.

“The flames from the shed had began to melt the vinyl siding of the house and if we had not received such a quick response the fire could have easily taken the house as well,” she said, adding her family “would like to send a huge thank you out to the Georgetown Fire Department for everything they did.”

Goings said the family was alerted about the fire by a Dominoes Pizza driver who was passing by.

“I don’t know who you are, but I hope this finds you,” Goings said.

Latest Videos
Upcoming Events
 Latest News
Print Ads

South Strand News

© 2015 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.