Monday, February 24, 2014
Georgetown City firefighters responded to a house fire Monday morning.
The fire was reported at 824 a.m. at 413 Palm Street. Fire Chief Joey Tanner said the fire began in an electric receptacle in a bedroom closet. There was heavy smoke and flames coming from the bedroom when firefighters arrived.
While most of the damage was contained to that bedroom, there was “a lot of smoke and heat damage to the rest of the house,” Tanner said.
Later in the day Monday, fire destroyed a shed at a home in the 5300 block of Highmarket Street.
Maegan Goings said the fire occurred at the home of her parents.
“The flames from the shed had began to melt the vinyl siding of the house and if we had not received such a quick response the fire could have easily taken the house as well,” she said, adding her family “would like to send a huge thank you out to the Georgetown Fire Department for everything they did.”
Goings said the family was alerted about the fire by a Dominoes Pizza driver who was passing by.
“I don’t know who you are, but I hope this finds you,” Goings said.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.