Wednesday, February 12, 2014
THE WINTER STORM WARNING NOW INCLUDES THE ENTIRE AREA, EVEN THE COAST.
* HAZARD TYPES...MAINLY FREEZING RAIN. SOME SNOW AND SLEET.
* ACCUMULATIONS...ICE ACCUMULATION OF ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF
INCH. ADDITIONAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION WILL BE MINOR.
* TIMING...THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING WITH THE WORST OF THE ICE
OCCURRING TODAY AND THIS EVENING.
* IMPACTS...TREACHEROUS TO IMPOSSIBLE TRAVEL CONDITIONS.
WIDESPREAD DOWNED TREES AND POWER LINES ARE EXPECTED DUE TO
THE WIND AND WEIGHT OF THE ICE. THIS WILL LIKELY LEAD TO
WIDESPREAD POWER OUTAGES. POWER MAY NOT BE FULLY RESTORED FOR
SEVERAL DAYS TO PERHAPS A WEEK OR MORE.
* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES...LOWER 30S.
PEOPLE ACROSS THE REGION SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR SEVERE WINTER
WEATHER CONDITIONS. DRESS WARMLY AND MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS IN
GOOD RUNNING ORDER AND HAS BEEN PROPERLY WINTERIZED. IT IS HIGHLY
RECOMMENDED THAT YOU TAKE A WINTER WEATHER SURVIVAL KIT IF YOU
MUST TRAVEL. PREPARE GENERATORS WITH PLENTY OF FUEL IN CASE ICE
LEADS TO LONG POWER OUTAGES.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.