Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Georgetown County issued the following tips for before and during a power outage:
While you still have electricity, make sure any batteries are fully charged, including for home phones and cellular phones. This is important in case you need to call for help, but also in case the county needs to utilize its calling notification system to deliver emergency messages after power outages begin. When power goes out, use your phone sparingly, for emergency calls, etc.
• Have extra batteries for flashlights and weather radios.
• Report downed power lines to the local power provider. Do not touch the wires or drive over them.
• Portable generators should not be used in any enclosed space, including a garage.
• Follow operating instructions and do not plug the generator into home electrical sockets.
• Gas stovetops, gas ovens and charcoal grills are unsafe heat sources for indooruse. These heat sources can release harmful or even fatal emissions when used in an enclosed space.
• Use battery powered lights instead of candles. If you must use candles as emergency lighting, be aware they can be dangerous.
• Individuals who have life sustaining medical needs like oxygen or who are in need of dialysis should call 911 in the event they do not have electricity.