Local, state authorities investigating pet poisoning reports

  • Wednesday, January 22, 2014

  • Updated Monday, February 3, 2014 3:11 pm

Residents of a Pawleys Island neighborhood are looking for answers after several pets died and others were sickened by what is believed poisoned food found in the area.

On Sunday, a woman from the 100 block of Chapman Loop in Pawleys Island said her cat died of poisoning.

She said the cat died violently and the veterinarian said the pet was poisoned.

The woman said the cat stays at her house at all times so she has no idea how it could have been poisoned.

Also Sunday, a man from Brandy Mill Way in Pawleys Island said he was walking his dog and the pet appeared to eat something near the corner of Parkersville Road.

Soonafter, the dog stated “acting strangely” and began vomiting.

The deputy noted the dog tried to walk but was unsteady on its feet and fell over several times.

The dog was taken to an emergency animal hospital in Myrtle Beach.

On Jan. 17, another woman from Brandy Mill Way reported she saw her dog eat something that was in her front yard. When she returned from work, the dog was dead.

She said her other dog was “acting in a strange manner” and was taken to the vet where it had to be euthanized.

A deputy checked the woman’s yard and found several “meatball type objects strewn about the lawn,” an incident report states.

The “meatballs” were taken to the Sheriff’s Office to be tested.

The woman said she recently had a verbal altercation with a Martin Luther King Road man concerning barking dogs who were acting in an aggressive manner towards him, the report states. She said the man told her he would kill the dogs.

According to the report, the deputy talked to the man who admitted he was angry at the time and did say he would harm the dogs if they were not kept away from him. But, he added, he would never really harm or kill a pet.

A dead cat was also found in the neighborhood but its owners have not been identified.

The Sheriff’s Office is investigating and the Department of Health and Environmental Control has been notified about the incidents.

Read more on this story in Friday’s Georgetown Times.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705