• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Police Blotter: Woman’s house shot to start the new year

  • Tuesday, January 14, 2014

  • Updated Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:40 am

The year 2014 began with a scare for a family on Vereen Road, off Brick Chimney Road. A woman from the 100 block said they were watching the ball drop in New York on TV when they heard a loud noise.

She said she heard something hit her roof and then saw a bullet come through the ceiling and land in her kitchen.

“The bullet was still in tact and was not deformed in any way,” the report states.

The area was searched but it was not determined from where the shots were fired.

Grandmother attacked

A woman from the 500 block of Robinson Road in Andrews said she was attacked by her 17-year-old grandson Jan. 6.

The woman said she discovered her new T-shirt missing and she fussed at her grandkids thinking one of them had taken it.

That’s when her grandson reportedly hit her with a hair brush causing her to fall on the floor.

He then grabbed a pool cue and threatened to strike her with that as well, the report states. Other family members were able to stop him.

The teen was arrested for aggravated assault.

Scammed by the pot salesman

Deputies met with a woman from Ports Hill Drive in the Hemingway portion of Georgetown County Jan. 8 because she feels she has been tricked by a man selling kitchen ware.

She said in early December she was a part of a cookware party being held by a group of people in the community. The party was hosted by a 59-year-old man from Tennessee.

The woman said she bought nearly $750 worth of items from the man.

She said the man told her she could cancel the order within three days if she changed her mind. She said she did decide to cancel within the three days.

When she called her bank to cancel she was told the check had already been cashed.

She said she has tried to contact the man but has been unsuccessful.

Others in the community experienced the same problem, the report states.

The woman said she researched and found out the man has warrants in other states for similar crimes.

Attempted home invasion

A woman from St. Christopher Circle said she and her two daughters were in their living room the afternoon of Jan. 5 when they heard their door open.

They looked up and saw a man trying to get inside the home.

One of the woman’s daughter ran over and locked the deadbolt on the main door.

The man started yelling “let me in.”

The man reportedly tried for about five minutes to get inside before walking away towards Fisher Road.

A neighbor told the deputy it’s believed the suspect stays at a nearby special needs home but when the victim was shown that individual she said it was not the person who tried to break into her home.

The real suspect was not located.

Continuous harassment

A 17-year-old from Pawleys Island said she recently broke up with her 19-year-old boyfriend and, as of Jan. 4, he would not stop sending her text messages.

The deputy saw 19 messages from the teen’s ex. One stated “I just wanna watch the world burn and I am fully capable of inducing it.”

The deputy spoke with the father of the 19-year-old and told him his son was to have no further contact with the victim.

Before the deputy could leave, the suspect sent another text stating “The law can’t touch me. U don’t know who I am.”

Later that night, deputies responded back to the residence because the harassment continued. The suspect reportedly called the victim saying “I’m not scared of the law.”

The suspect called again while the officer was still on the scene, so the deputy spoke with him. The suspect said he would go to Horry County because the deputy could not get him there.

The suspect hung up but called back and told the deputy he would turn himself in, so they agreed to meet at Food Lion. The deputy waited but the suspect never showed up.

Bird shooter at Myabi’s

Deputies were sent to Miyabi’s restaurant in Murrells Inlet at about 1:40 p.m. Jan. 4 because a 47-year-old intoxicated Myrtle Beach man was lying in the parking lot and was “flipping off passing motorists.”

The deputies were attempting to find the man a ride but he continued to curse at the officers and others in the parking lot. The man had been dropped off at that location by an unknown person.

The man had blood all over his hands. After a struggle, the officers were able to get the man into a patrol car.

He was taken to the hospital to be treated for the scratches he received while on the asphalt. He was then taken to jail.

A few pills — Oxycodone — were found in the man’s pocket.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.

– Compiled by Scott Harper


Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.