• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Bond denied for man accused of attempted murder

  • Wednesday, December 25, 2013

  • Updated Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:02 am

This mug shot of Cedric Brockington was taken the night of his arrest.

A man accused of beating another man with a bed post earlier this year remains in jail after being denied bond by Circuit Court Judge Larry Hyman.

Cderic Brockington, 25, of Oatland Road was arrested July 27 and had his second bond hearing Thursday. He was originally denied bond Aug. 28.

According to a Sheriff’s Office report, the incident took place July 26 at the Fish Hole on Fuzzy Drive.

When deputies arrived they saw the victim, a 28-year-old man, severely bleeding from a gash above his left eye. He was also bleeding from his ear and mouth. He was unconscious, the report states,

While on the scene, deputies found part of a bedpost believed to have been used by Brockington to attack the victim.

A witness told a deputy he saw Brockington beating the victim. The deputy was familiar with Brockington because of prior incidents, the report states.

There had been an incident earlier that evening between Brockington’s girlfriend and the victim’s brother.

Brockington was later found and was arrested.

At first it was unknown if the victim would survive as he was in a coma, said Deputy Solicitor Alicia Richardson. He has recovered and was in court Thursday.

He said he has had trouble reading and has had to attend therapy since the attack.

“I am lucky to still be here to spend Christmas with my daughter,” the victim said. “He should not be released. I don’t know what he might do.”

Brockington’s attorney, Elise Crosby, said the victim was at first “in a zombie state” but is now back at work.

She said Brockington “is very grateful” the victim has recovered.

“The victim was brutally beaten just because you wanted to do it,” Judge Hyman told Brockington. “I am not setting a bond.”

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.



South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705