Police Blotter; SUV burns after hit and run

  • Monday, December 23, 2013

A 23-year-old Georgetown man did not get very far after he fled the scene of an accident at about 4 a.m. Dec. 13. That’s because his SUV burst into flames shortly thereafter.

The crash happened at the corner of Front and South Fraser Street.

A 58-year-old woman said she was travelling north on Fraser when the SUV - coming off Front Street - struck the side of her van causing her to spin several times before coming to a stop on the train tracks.

A message was sent out asking officers to be on the lookout for the SUV and its driver who did not stop.

Police found the SUV on Montford Road. It was on fire and the driver was standing by the road.

The man was arrested for hit and run as well as reckless driving.

Officer assaulted by hospital patient

A female Georgetown police officer- working security at Georgetown Memorial Hospital Sunday - was assaulted by a patient.

The suspect, described as a mental patient in the police report, was very irate and unruly demanding to be released. He had been ordered for an evaluation y a judge so hospital staff informed him he could not leave.

The staff requested the officer because the 37-year-old Andrews man was getting more and more upset.

Doctors wanted to inject him with medicine to help him calm down. He was told to sit on the bed but he refused, saying the hospital was trying to kill him.

He then tried to leave by shoving the officer who fell backwards into a night stand.

Once she regained her composure, the officer was assisted by hospital staff in subduing the man who continued to put up a fight. The officer had to use her Taser on the man twice before he was finally handcuffed to a bed and the medication was administered.

The man later apologized to the office but she wrote in her report she feels the apology was “an attempt to get free from the restraints so he could flee the hospital again.”

Goody’s employee theft

A Goody’s loss prevention manager met with police Dec. 12 and said a former employee had been stealing money from the North Fraser Street store.

He said he had been called by the worker on Dec. 5 who informed him the deposit was short and she left work early that day.

The next day she turned in her keys and let everyone know she was quitting.

The woman reportedly admitted to management that she had taken money.

She allegedly began taking money in October by keeping some of the bank deposits. She would wait until she got paid the following week to put the money back into the account.

More than $5,100 was reportedly taken.

The case is under investigation.

Urinating burglars

Police were sent to an apartment on North Merriman Road Dec. 11 because of people getting inside by way of the roof and damaging the furniture.

It was reported that the intruders urinated on the couch, recliner and piano.

It was the second time police were called to the apartment to take a report on similar incidents.

Fight at CBHS

Two Carvers Bay High School students - both 17-year-old females - were arrested after a fight in a classroom Dec. 9.

When a deputy met with the students, they were in the front office. Both students said it was the other who threw the first punch.

The teacher said they were both fighting and as they were being escorted down the hall they continued trading hits.

Both were charged with disorderly conduct.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.

Compiled by Scott Harper.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.