Wednesday, November 27, 2013
What was called out as an explosion at 3V Chemical Co. was actually a chemical spill caused by falling barrels, according to Georgetown County Assistant Fire Chief Tony Hucks.
At about 9 p.m. Tuesday, Central Dispatch advised fire officials there had been an explosion at the chemical plant off of Pennyroyal Road.
One man was injured as a result of the incident.
Emergency workers were advised the incident involved hydrochloric acid.
Hucks said the injured man fell three stories and landed on a metal rod that pierced his leg.
By 9:20 p.m., rescue workers had freed the man and placed him on a backboard. He was transported to the hospital where he was decontaminated. He was expected to then be transported to the Medical University of South Carolina. His condition has not been released.
Currently, the incident is under investigation.
Hucks said when a 911 dispatcher received the call, it was reported as an explosion.
It was later learned that workers were hoisting barrels of the chemicals for storage when the cables broke sending four barrels crashing to the ground.
Three of the barrels busted open, Hucks said, which resulted in the spill.
No chemical fumed were reported outside the plant.
Several emergency workers reported inhaling the fumes and were all checked out and found to be OK, said Hucks.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.