Tuesday, November 26, 2013
What was called out as an explosion at 3V Chemical Co. was a chemical spill caused by falling barrels, according to information released after the incident.
At about 9 p.m., Central Dispatch advised fire officials there had been an explosion at the plant off of Pennyroyal Road.
One man was injured as a result of the incident.
Emergency workers were advised the incident involved hydrochloric acid.
According to reports from the scene, the injured man was blown three or four floors down an elevator shaft as a result of the explosion. He also had rebar pierce his leg.
By 9:20 p.m., rescue workers had freed the man from the shaft and placed him on a backboard. He was transported to the hospital where he was decontaminated. He was expected to then be transported to a trauma center.
Currently, the incident is under investigation but fire officials reported it was not an explosion but rather falling chemical containers that caused the chemical spill. No chemicals were reported outside the plant.
Several EMS workers reported inhaling the fumes.