Wednesday, November 20, 2013
For nearly a decade, Georgetown Family Pizza on South Fraser Street in Maryville was a part of the community, serving up great food and fun times.
The good times for the loyal customers and those who tried the restaurant for the first time came to an end on Oct. 24 when the business was destroyed by a fire, ignited by grease rags in a dryer, according to Georgetown City Fire Chief Joey Tanner.
In minutes, the popular eatery was completely gutted by the flames.
Now, owners Bob and Susie Lambert are hoping to find a way to rebuild - a task made more difficult since they had no fire insurance on the business.
“We are trying to get help from wherever we can get it,” Bob Lambert said Tuesday.
Lambert was asked if he feels they will be successful at their attempts to rebuild. “All I can say is we are going to try. I will put whatever I have into it.”
An account has been set up at TD Bank for anyone who would like to make a donation. Contributions can be made to the Georgetown Family Pizza fund.
While money is definitely needed, Lambert said there are other ways people can help.
“We are looking for building materials people would like to donate. Or maybe people who can hang sheetrock. We need things like air conditioning units. Maybe someone will sell us one at cost,” Lambert said.
“We are a part of Georgetown”
Lambert said he feels it is unfair that there is no help available for his business while there have been numerous efforts to help the businesses that were destroyed on Front Street one month prior to his fire.
“Is Maryville not a part of Georgetown? We lost our business also. We are a part of Georgetown. I am very mad about that. It upsets me that the relief efforts are confined to only one part of the town,” he said, adding with the exception of Paige Sawyer, no one from city council has called or stopped by to see if the city could be of any assistance.
Lambert said his wife contacted Washington about possibly receiving some of the funds earmarked for the Front Street disaster.
“We were told we do not qualify because we are not on Front Street,” Lambert said.
He said he has received some help from friends in removing everything that was damaged. He also thanks Po Boys, a restaurant equipment store on Church Street.
“They have been helping me tremendously,” he said. “They have taken my equipment out and cleaned it up,” he said.
He also said County Councilman Ron Charlton has provided some office space so they could set up their computers.
Wife is the ‘foundation’
Lambert said the backbone of the business has always been his wife.
“She is the whole foundation. She is the one who built this business,” he said.
He said asking for help is somewhat difficult because he and his wife have always enjoyed giving to people.
“She has given away a lot of food over the years. She always took care of her customers,” he said.
Lambert concluded by saying once again he hopes to reopen one day soon.
“We literally lost everything but I am not going to give up,” he said.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.