Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Jeanette Ard and Paige Sawyer will attend their final Georgetown City Council meeting as sitting council members on Dec. 19 — at least for now.
Both Ard and Sawyer — who were defeated in last week's Georgetown municipal election — said this week they have not ruled out running again in 2015.
Ard has been on council since 2010 and Sawyer began his service in 1997 but lost his bid for reelection in 2007. He was reelected in 2009.
Winning the two seats last week were Republicans Carol Jayroe and Ed Kimbrough.
Incumbent Democrat Brendon Barber won reelection to his seat by edging out Sawyer by 22 votes.
Challenger Doris Simmons was the other candidate in the six-person race.
Sawyer says he blames his loss on being associated with the “Progress for Georgetown,” an ad hoc political group that was supporting the Republican candidates.
Sawyer, during the campaign season, said the group used his photo in advertisements and endorsed him without his prior knowledge or permission.
“I got caught in the crosshairs of a smear campaign against (Mayor) Jack Scoville and his supporters,” Sawyer said. “I really think the smear campaign helped Jack. It is a shame Chicago-style politics has come to our small southern city.”
When asked if he will seek reelection, Sawyer said “I do not know yet.”
He said he will spend the next two years “seeing how best to contribute to the success of Georgetown” and will decide in 2015 whether to try to regain a seat on council.
He said the city needs to try to move towards non-partisan elections, something Kimbrough said will be one of his priorities as a member of council.
Ard, whose business — Colonial Floral Fascinations — was one that was destroyed by fire in the 700 block of Front Street in September — said the blaze probably hurt her chances at reelection.
She said most of her campaign material was destroyed in the fire “and I did not have the funds or the time to have it reprinted.”
Ard said her campaign had to be placed on the back burner after the fire because her time was mainly devoted to trying to recover from the tragedy.
While disappointed at the loss, Ard said she will spend the time rebuilding her business. She has opened a temporary flower shop in the 900 block of Front Street but plans to rebuild at her original location.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.