• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Woman saves couple, baby and pets from house fire

  • Wednesday, November 6, 2013

  • Updated Friday, November 8, 2013 1:37 pm

Scott Harper/Times Beverly Tompkins, right, said all but one of the family dogs made it out safely. That dog, Mrs. Tompkins said as she fought back tears while holding her other two pets, suffocated under a bed.

Photos

Brad and Beverly Tompkins who live on Saints Delight Road in the Sampit area say they are very grateful to a neighbor whose quick actions are being credited for saving their lives – as well as the lives of a one-month-old baby they were baby-sitting, two dogs and a deer that were all inside the home.
Stacey Hughes-Simpson was on her way to work before 7 a.m. Tuesday when she saw smoke coming from the home of Brad and Beverly Tompkins, across from BB Smith's Store.
She told the Georgetown Times she knows the couple and knew they would not be outside burning leaves before 7 a.m. so she took a closer look and saw the house was actually burning.
“I drove my car up to the porch and forced open the front door,” Hughes-Simpson said.
Everyone was still asleep so the woman began yelling telling them their house was burning.
Mrs. Tompkins handed Hughes-Simpson the baby while she hurried to help her husband and pets out of the house.
“I am just very grateful I was passing by at the right time,” Hughes-Simpson said. “I was working off of adrenaline.”
Mr. Tompkins said if it had not been for his neighbor “we may have perished in there.”
All but one of the family dogs made it out safely.
That dog, Mrs. Tompkins said as she fought back tears while holding her other two pets, suffocated under a bed.
As for the deer, it is now 6-years-old and has been raised by the Tompkins since it was a fawn. The couple found the baby deer next to a road after its mother was struck and killed by a vehicle.
“I lost children so I replaced them with animals,” Mrs. Tompkins said.
Vickie Tompkins, the mother of Brad Tompkins, said she is very thankful her son and daughter-in-law survived the fire.
“The material stuff can be replaced,” she said.
Two things that did survive the fire are a Bible translator Vickie Tompkins had given her son for Christmas and a scrap book she had made.
“I don't know what we will do,” Mr. Tompkins said.
He praised county firefighters for their efforts.
“They were here before I got my pets out,” he said.
Assistant Georgetown County Fire Chief Tony Hucks said the cause of the fire appears to be electrical.

Comments

Notice about comments:

Georgetown Times is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Georgetown Times.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Most Popular
ERROR: Macro /mostPopular-widget is missing!
Poll
ERROR: Macro /civicScience-widget is missing!
News from Twitter
ERROR: Macro /twitter-widget is missing!
Print Ads
ERROR: Macro /print2Web-widget is missing!
Latest Videos
ERROR: Macro /ndn-widget is missing!


Georgetown Times

© 2014 Georgetown Times an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.