Scoville: Cigarette sparked fire

  • Friday, November 1, 2013

The report detailing what caused the Sept. 25 fire on Front Street could be released next week.
Georgetown Fire Chief Joey Tanner said the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and the ATF have been investigating the fire since the day it destroyed seven buildings which housed 10 businesses and apartments for more than a dozen residents.
Meanwhile, Georgetown Mayor Jack Scoville said this week he thinks it may have been a cigarette that started the fire, which originated on the back deck of Limpin’ Jane’s restaurant.
On Tuesday, a Charleston television station headlined a story: Mayor says cigarette started Georgetown fire.
On Wednesday, Scoville said his comments were taken out of context.
“They called me over to the side and wanted me to give an interview,” Scoville said of the WCIV-TV 4 crew who were in Georgetown on Tuesday. “I told them it was purely my speculation that I personally think it started with a cigarette smoldering in a trash can.”
Scoville said he also told the station it could have been a candle in the trash can that started the fire.
“I cannot make myself believe it was intentionally set, so in my mind it has to be accidental. But I really thought I made it clear it was all purely speculation on my part,” Scoville said.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
Upcoming Events
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.