Friday, November 1, 2013
Backed by Georgetown County and City officials, Gov. Nikki Haley spoke to a small crowd along Front Street in Georgetown on Tuesday afternoon.
She updated the public on the status of the state’s assistance of those affected by the Sept. 25 fire that took out eight historic buildings along Front Street’s waterfront.
Haley’s comments credited Georgetown with unifying the entire state. She said that following last month’s fire, local and state leaders, as well as citizens from all over the state, stepped forward to offer support to those affected by the devastating loss.
So far $150,000 has been donated to the Front Street fund to help the victims of the fire.
“Everybody stepped up,” she said. “This is a community that united the whole state.”
As the governor spoke to those gathered in Francis Marion Park, she reminded them of all the steps state leaders have taken to help the fire victims, including expediting orders that open up funds for grant money to the businesses, spending extra funds on advertising for downtown Georgetown and working to continue to see that as many needs are met as possible.
She also noted that the state Department of Health and Environmental Control is currently working on the asbestos situation that is slowing down the rebuilding process.
“This is team South Carolina at work,” Haley said. “Georgetown is at a better place that we were a few weeks ago and we want to support it every step of the way.”
While the total cost of rebuilding is still unknown, Haley said, it is the state’s job to keep things moving as fast as possible. So far, there has been very little available in the way of federal grants that would help in such situations. She said that while no federal funds are available now, they will continue to look.
“We want to remind everyone that Front Street fund is still open,” she said, ending with an encouragement for people to continue to give.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.