Pizza restaurant, two homes burn

  • Friday, October 25, 2013

Bob Lambert, front, and his wife, Susan, have owned Georgetown Family Pizza on Highway 17 in Maryville section of Georgetown for about nine years.


Bob Lambert said when he received a call from his nephew at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday informing him the family business was on fire, he thought it was a joke.
But, he quickly realized it was real and Georgetown Family Pizza —  which he and his wife, Susan, have owned for about nine years —  was burning.
City Fire Chief Joey Tanner said when firefighters arrived they saw smoke coming through the roof of the second floor. Flames were seen coming from a vent on the roof.
The fire was determined to be under control by 3 a.m. but crews remained on the scene for more than two hours putting out hot spots and working to remove smoke from the building.
Tanner said the cause of the fire is currently unknown.
One firefighter had to be transported to the emergency room for possible dehydration, Tanner said. He was treated and released and was back on the fire scene by 5 a.m.
Tanner said the rear and second floor of the building is used as an office and apartment. He said it was those areas that received the most damage. However, the restaurant did sustain severe smoke and heat damage.
Lambert said his wife was the primary operator of the business. He said she was taking the loss very hard.
“We will try,” Lambert said when asked if he thinks they will rebuild.
Thursday's fire was the second that destroyed a pizza restaurant in the past ten months. Georgetown's Pizza Hut was destroyed by fire in December and is currently in the beginning stages of rebuilding.
One month ago today, ten businesses were destroyed by fire in the 700 block of Front Street.

House gutted on Winyah Street

Some firefighters were still on the scene at Georgetown Family Pizza when they received the call about a fire at 1812 Winyah Street.
When they arrived smoke was seen billowing from the roof.
Tanner said the fire started around a wood heater.
Two people live at the home and one was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, Tanner said.
The house was completely gutted, Tanner said.

Mobile home severely damaged

 A mobile home on the west end of Front Street was destroyed by fire late Monday night.
Tanner said the fire at 2219 Front Street was reported just before midnight.
Although there was no electricity going to the mobile home, there was a 41-year-old woman inside. She was out of the house when firefighters arrived but was transported to the emergency room to be treated for smoke inhalation, Tanner said.
Tanner said the cause of the fire —  which took about 20 minutes to bring under control —  is under investigation.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.