Quantcast

Two Front Street businesses destroyed by fire reopen; four others opening soon

  • Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Clayton Stairs/Times Left: Jeanette Ard, owner of Colonial Florist, left, has moved two blocks to 912 Front Street and started taking orders in the middle of last week. Right: Bartenders Cat Cameron and Bob Canalori serve Zest co-owner John Cranston.

Two Front Street businesses in the 700 block  that were destroyed by fire on Sept. 25 are open for business in nearby locations and four others are close behind.
Each business owner in downtown Georgetown said they appreciate all of the help and support they received from the public and other businesses.
Jeanette Ard, owner of Colonial Florist, has moved two blocks to 912 Front Street and started taking orders in the middle of last week.
She even supplied flowers for a wedding on Saturday.
“I am excited about being able to open this fast,” Ard said. “It's thanks to family, friends and the community.”
Colonial Florist is a full-service florist that also offers plants. Anyone who would like to make an order can call 843-546-5108 or 843-359-3126.
Her daughter, Courtney Cagle, will open her business, The Boardwalk Boutique, at the same location in a couple of weeks.
She said people can follow “The Boardwalk Boutique” on Facebook for specific opening details.
Ann Carlson, owner of Harborwalk Books, has been open at the corner of Screven and Front streets since Monday, Oct. 14.
Carlson was not available for comment.
John Cranston and Peter Scalise, owners of Zest, are opening a new restaurant called 700 Modern Grill and Bar, located at 916 Front Street.
Scalise said they plan to open with a full menu this Friday, Oct. 25, exactly one month after the fire.
The restaurant already had a partial opening on Saturday for the Wooden Boat Show.
“That was due to a great push and help from everybody,” Scalise said. “Hog Heaven helped us a lot with catering.”
The new restaurant will have food choices like pizza, sushi, tacos, sandwiches and salads, he said. They also have large-screen TVs for sports.
Scalise said they are grateful that city officials expedited the process for their new business to open.
He added that he and Cranston plan to reopen Zest when construction of the buildings on the 700 block is complete.
Bartender Bob Canalori said he was offered money from the Fire Relief Fund, but turned it down.
“I opted to let people have it that needed it more than I did,” he said.
Ginger Gray, owner of Doodlebugs, plans to reopen at 918 Front Street in the first part of November.
Her store offers boys and girls infant clothing, shoes and gifts.
“I was at the other location for 12 years, so it was difficult to see that place completely gone,” Gray said. “But we are excited about this new opportunity and our new location. We can start fresh.”
She said she has received money from the Fire Relief Fund and expects more this week.
“It is tough going through the process of working with insurance companies, so we were glad to get some money to get up and going,” Gray said.
Brian Tucker, president of the Georgetown County Chamber of Commerce, said that owners of Goudelock & Co. are also working to open in November.
The owners could not be reached by press time.

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705