Wednesday, October 2, 2013
One of the restaurants destroyed by last week’s fire in the 700 block of Front Street is wasting no time in relocating.
The owners of Zest Restaurant — which opened for business Aug. 1 — have announced they are renovating a building in the 900 block of Front Street but the new business will have a new name — and will remain even after Zest is rebuilt.
Business partners Peter Scalise and John Cranston have been busy inside the building at 916 Front Street getting it renovated for a grand opening.
Scalise said he hopes the new restaurant will be up and running within 30 days.
The name will not be Zest but the new name has not yet been decided. One idea being considered is 700 Restaurant and Bar, in honor of the 700 block of Front Street where the fires occurred.
Scalise said when he saw the size of the fire inside his restaurant Wednesday, he knew the building would not be saved and knew he had to work fast to secure a new location.
“We were signing the new lease while the building was still burning,” he said. "The employees we had are all a value to us, so we saw it as ‘hey let's get right on this and get everyone back to work.’ We saw a location that looked like it could happen in 30-45 days."
One of the employees excited for the quick change, is Melanie Cordington who spoke with Georgetown Times news partner WBTW-TV 13.
"We were there. We were happy. But now this s a chance for us to maybe start over," Cordington told WBTW.
She said when she heard about the fire, she questioned how she would even be able to pay her bills. Now, she and other employees feel like things are once again looking up.
"To know that its going to be all right and they're rebuilding and starting again, it’s just back to that high again," Cordington said.
Scalise said he hopes all the businesses that were destroyed will rebuild.
"We hope that our resiliency will carry over. That's exactly what it is. We want the momentum to keep everyone moving forward and not just wonder what if," he said.