• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Police Blotter: Kids left alone so dad can collect debt

  • Tuesday, October 1, 2013

  • Updated Friday, October 4, 2013 7:05 am

A reckless driver in Murrells Inlet Sept. 22 led to the discovery of two young children who had been left home alone.
A deputy reported being on the dirt portion of New River Road when the driver of a red Oldsmobile came around the corner at a high rate of speed nearly striking the patrol car.
By the time the deputy turned around, he had lost sight of the car but later spotted it abandoned in a nearby church parking lot.
The deputy ran the license tag and found out it was registered to a resident on Dubose Loop.
He drove to that house and knocked on the door which was answered by two children, ages 3 and 8. The deputy asked to speak with their parents and was told they were not home.
The children said their father — a 40-year-old man — had been at home but left.
While talking to the children, their father passed by in a golf cart being driven by another person but they did not stop. When the children said their father was on the golf cart, the deputy ran over and stopped them.
The man said he left the kids while he went to Turntable Road to get some money someone owed him. He said he had flagged someone down to give him a ride home.
The children were turned over to other relatives and the man was arrested.

Drunk in the creek

A man described as extremely drunk was arrested for disorderly conduct after he went for a swim in the creek in Murrells Inlet at about 9:30 p.m. Sept. 23.
When deputies arrived, the man was in the water behind Wahoos.
There were about a dozen onlookers watching the man in the water.
They said they were trying to get him out but he refused.
They said the man fell off of the dock into the creek.
Finally, a dock master was able to help the man out of the water.
The 35-year-old man from Tampa, was transported to the Detention Center.

McDonalds employee accused of theft

The manager of the Pawleys Island McDonalds met with a deputy Sept. 26 and said an employee had been stealing money from the restaurant but had not been confronted.
The manager said they have the 23-year-old worker on camera placing money in her pocket several times.
The deputy watched the video and reports seeing the woman placing the cash in her back pocket.
More than $2,800 was reportedly taken.
The manager said she was going to press charges.

Heated family feud

Georgetown police were sent to a home on Old Charleston Road in Maryville Sept. 24 because of a family argument that got out of hand.
A young girl said she and her family were driving home from Charleston when her parents and 24-year-old sister began debating topics such as religion, politics, adultery, sinful relationships and homosexuality.
The discussion got heated between the man and his daughters and continued after they arrived home.
The intensity increased when the younger child revealed a family secret.
That is when everyone started cussing each other and the older daughter got in her father's face.
He allegedly bumped her in the chest to get her out of his face.
Things escalated and the man pushed his daughter in a flower bed after she hit him with her pocketbook.
When police arrived, no one wanted to press charges.
They said they would go to bed and try to resolve the problems at a later time.

Suicidal woman flees hospital

Deputies were sent to All Saints Cemetery in Pawleys Island Sept. 21 because a 22-year-old woman was threatening suicide.
She had several razor blades and said she wanted to die.
The officers said they found the woman sitting on a bench.
She was calm and the deputies were able to take possession of the weapons.
The woman agreed to be taken to the hospital for evaluation.
About two hours later, deputies were dispatched back to the hospital because the woman had fled.
They were told a watch nurse was helping another patient when the woman ran out the front door wearing a blue hospital gown.
She was found a few hours later and was returned to the emergency room.
 Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.

—Compiled by
Scott Harper


Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.